How Rough Is Too Rough? (uhm...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnVranesevich once bubbled...
Greetings All:

<snip>

NOT fun!

I think this comment hits the nail right on the head. As soon as the "not fun" thing starts (above or under water) then it's passed a comfort boundary and you need to back off.

R..

JohnVranesevich once bubbled...
Greetings All:

Well, I'm officially Enriched Air Nitrox certified, woohoo!

However, the process wasn't without a great deal of agony.....

Another guy and I had our heads over the side of the boat most of the time, and everyone else was nauseated; eating crackers like no tomorrow to keep their stomach's somewhat settled.

I made my first dive and got to see a 9' hammer head. Ok, so that might have made it all worth while with no problems. Got back on the boat, which was NOT an easy task, threw up some, and made my 2nd dive. Got back on the boat again, which again was NOT an easy task, threw up some more, got back to shore, threw up some more there, and then got home, where I threw up then went to bed.

One of the new open water divers got her leg slammed pretty good while trying to get back on board (definitely will leave a pretty bruise I'm sure), one of them had to board with his fins still on because he couldn't hold onto the ladder long enough to take them off. None of the new open waters managed to complete their safety stop, and I had a heck of a time maintaining 15', as it was definitely "choppy" at that depth, and there was no line dropped to hang onto for support......

NOT fun!

:D Congratulations, John! Well done!:D

As for the rest, look at it this way, you got to see a really cool shark...AND...you now have the first in your collection of "Divers' War Stories"!!:wink:

John,

I was off Boynton on Sunday in my 23', may have seen me- one guy, small cruiser, black dog- anyway, I'll confirm that a few of those were 6' with about 5 or six seconds between them. We got soaked on the way out. The forecast was for 3-5's but that accounts for about 85% of the norm. That's about as rough as I care to dive out of my boat in. It takes practice timing the waves and using them to help you up the ladder, and also in maneuvering on the boat. An up line can be a real pain, too. You were better off without. With those sea conditions, the current near the surface would be very strong and clinging to it would have been difficult, especially as 5 other divers moved up to join you. This time of year, 2-4' is good diving. P.M. me if you want to dive some Sunday or MONDAY. Wow! I've never seen the shark out there.

Don

Greetings:

Yeah, my instructor said in the 18 years he's been diving Boynton Beach, this was only the 2nd time he's seen a HammerHead. I felt very very fortunate =)

And I got to see a nice sized Nurse Shark the time before. I think sharks just like me =) Uhm, on second thought, that might be a bad thing..... heh.

I'm always up for a dive, so let me know the next time you have one planned. I'm self employed, so my work schedule is VERY flexible, weekends and weekdays both work for me....

It's too rough if the boat is in danger of swamping, or you can't be sure you can get back on the boat. It's never been so rough while within those parameters I couldn't somehow fall off the boat.

Other than that I've always found it calmer under the boat than on it.

FT

FredT once bubbled...
It's too rough if the boat is in danger of swamping, or you can't be sure you can get back on the boat. It's never been so rough while within those parameters I couldn't somehow fall off the boat.

FT

Spoken like a true rig diver.

Captain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom