How Safe is Air Vanuatu & Vanuatu Air Safety Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just read an article relating to the (alleged) poor maintenance records for Air Vanuatu. Has anyone experienced maintenance issues such as (regular) engine failures. If so, is this local flights or international as well. I see that their air safety rating is 4/7 on the internet?

I was considering going to dive the Coolidge again , however the issue of maintenance and also runway safety gives me some concern. What do other divers think? Anyone with bad experiences of late?

"Air New Zealand yesterday suspended all flights to and from Vanuatu because of the condition of the runway at the airport in the capital, Port Vila.

Vanuatu Hotel & Resorts Association president Bryan Death said other carriers who fly to Port Vila could follow Air New Zealand's lead and that would be disastrous for the tourism industry, which has been recovering from Cyclone Pam last year.

Mr Death said a film crew was working on a campaign to attract people to Vanuatu this coming winter.

The footage that had been shot may never be used, as there was no point in running the campaign if no one could travel to the country, he said.

Air New Zealand said it would take passengers who are already in Vanuatu home on a final flight tomorrow, and refund people who have booked flights.

Air Vanuatu is also reviewing the situation, and will make a decision within days.

The airline said one possibility included shuttling passengers to the island of Santo, and operating international flights from there."
----------------
"Following the move, Qantas swiftly announced the suspension of its codeshare agreement with Air Vanuatu.

“Due to concerns over the condition of the runway at Port Vila International Airport in Vanuatu, Qantas is suspending its codeshare agreement with Air Vanuatu effective immediately,” the airline said in a statement.

However, Virgin Australia safety experts conducted a review of the airport this weekend and the airline will continue to fly there.

“Following this review, we have concluded that currently our aircraft can continue to safely operate in and out of Port Vila,” a Virgin Australia spokesperson toldnews.com.au.

“We are working with authorities in Vanuatu to ensure the condition of the runway remains safe at all times and will continue to work closely with the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

“We continue to monitor the condition of the runway and Virgin Australia will immediately cease all operations between Australia and Port Vila if we are not convinced that the runway is suitable for continued operations.

“Safety is always our number one priority and Virgin Australia would never put its passengers, crew or aircraft at risk.”

Edit: Disclaimer: I'm no expert, your life, not mine. My info might also be outdated as I haven't been there since a bit more than a year.

Where did you get the maintenance thing from?

I'd personally go. Had great service with Air Vanuatu, although a bit of a fright when the plane started dropping a lot (storm cloud or something) after 10 minutes into the flight. Except that, all went well :). (but hey, I prefer having my feet on the ground or in the water, flying is not really for me :wink:)

If it's the runway that scares you, there's a flight going from Brisbane to Santo, without going through Vila (which was pretty much destroyed a year ago)

Hi Peter, I am not expert, however I am someone that follows the airline industry, and as part of my aircraft dorkness, follow airline safety, aircraft types, and have a pretty good understanding of aircraft operations. I am a private pilot flying small planes for my own enjoyment, and have taken courses on aircraft maintenance and mechanics.

With that, your question gave me a chance to do some research. Air Vanuatu is currently flying the Boeing 737-800 for their longer haul, this is the newest generation of 737 and is used by many major North American, and worldwide companies. Their smaller hauls are using ATR-72-500. The ATR-72-500 is one generation old for the ATR family, the most recent is the 600 series. So from a fleet perspective they are using very new, very modern and advanced aircraft.

In my research I found that for several years now the airline has had a partnership with Quanta's, wherein Quantas oversees their fleet and operations, provides assistance etc. This would lead me to believe that much of their maintenance if not completed by Quantas, is at least overseen or signed off by Quanta's mechanics. Quanta's has an outstanding reputation for maintenance and safety, I would imagine they want to keep it that way, including airlines they partner with.

With this partnership I would also expect that Quant's is involved in their ongoing pilot training, and probably were involved in their initial training on the 737-800. If I could find the lease information I would not at all be surprised if it was Quanta's that is lending them the new planes to get their fleet up to modern standards.

As for runway conditions. The runway may be in rough shape due to past storm, however that might be repaired by the time you arrive. If not, runway conditions unless horrendous can be pretty bad and still be safe. Some airlines may not want to land on it because their standards are such they won't, or do not have pilots with the experience that are comfortable doing it. In a smaller plane like an ATR you can handle a lot worse conditions. The ATR similar to the Bombardier Dash 8 built here in Canada and very popular, was designed for short take off and landings, on a variety of runway conditions.

If the pilots land on those runways on a regular basis, then they will be comfortable with them and know them. I spent some time travelling through Canada's Northwest Territories and Yukon, I have been on a 737 landing on a 6000 foot gravel runway in a snow storm. Its a little hair raising, but for the pilots flying the north all the time that is what they are used to and know how to handle it, much like the Air Vanuatu crews will land on that runway regularly and know it.

I would not be concerned about flying with them, they seem like a pretty good company with a modern fleet being overseen by a very good reputable company. Go and enjoy.

Vanuatu Hotel & Resorts Association president Bryan Death

Mr. "Death"??????????????????? And he is the "Vanuatu Hotel & Resorts Association " PRESIDENT???? OMG.

It is Qantas, not QUANTAS or QUANTA'S. Air Vanuatu got a brand new Boeing 737 yesterday so maintenance is certainly not a problem at least at the moment. They also fly DeHavilland Twin Otters. They lost one of these, at least 10 years ago, maybe 15.

I flew with Air Vanuatu last year, prior to the big storms so I don't know about the runway conditions now but they were fine, no issues and seemed very professional.

Problem solved in the short term, I am going to Coron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom