How to carry SMB, so that it can be re-stowed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been carrying my SMB either in a side pocket or clipped to my right waist D-ring.

Most of my dives are not drift dives and so I usually expect to not use my SMB. It's only carried in case of emergency. So, I would like to stow it where it's less in the way/more streamlined.

What I've found from searching is most people (that don't put it in a thigh pocket or clip it to their waist belt) use either bungee loops or a Dive Rite sleeve and then attach it to the side (opening facing down) or bottom of their back plate. Some people clip it to the butt D-ring on their crotch strap.

My question is: Do any of these methods for carrying the SMB allow you to stow your SMB back into the same spot while you're still in the water? It seems (not having actually tried any of them) like it would be pretty difficult to stow the SMB back where it came from if it was on the side or bottom of the BP, whether it goes in a sleeve or in bungee loops.

You're probably thinking "why would you care? Get out of the water and then stow it." My answer is, I have had numerous occasions to re-stow mine while in the water in the past. Mostly, as part of training exercises, where I am re-stowing while on the surface but still in the water. Occasionally, it has been on the surface, after the boat has seen me and gotten close, and while I'm waiting on other divers in the water to board the boat and it to become my turn.

So, I would like to figure out a way to carry my SMB that will let me re-stow it without TOO much difficulty. Any suggestions?

I use Halcyon Exploration pockets to stow all the goodies....Santi pockets work well too.

I use to do the MC pack to stow, but you can't put it back while in the water. I also like to keep it attached to a spool which can lead to a cluster if it's out in the open and unravels.

My drysuit Waterproof D1 came with pockets - I tied a bungee to a ring and that is attached to the inside of both pockets. When I have objects (SMB and spool are clipped together) I use a double ender to attach them to the ring. During classes or if I use my SMB I stow it back on the ring and it goes back in my pocket. I have yet to loose anything that has been properly clipped to the ring. The bungee allows me to stretch the ring far enough so I can see so I can clip in and then I just need to put the objects back in the pocket with a velcro flap.

I took two of these (because I'm cheap and didn't want to spend $40 on the double sided one) and threaded bungee through the glide on both sides and tied knots on each end and put it on my rear crotch strap. Works great. Easy to deploy and easy to clip things on to it. The bungees make it a better fit for 1 1/2" webbing since it's designed for 2". Maybe one day I'll have my welding buddy cut it in half and size it appropriately, but nevertheless it is a much better way than a standard d ring.

D-Ring-Loop-45-Degree-Bent-End

image.jpeg

In real life, I just don't see the "Okay, I'm done with it, I'll put it away".... that's drills. I carry mine either in the thigh pocket of my DS or the thigh pocket of my shorts, rigged and ready. I likely could stuff it back in there, but I'd just as well hand it up to the boat/crew at the boarding ladder..... On the deck, I'll put it back properly..

In real life, I just don't see the "Okay, I'm done with it, I'll put it away".... that's drills. I carry mine either in the thigh pocket of my DS or the thigh pocket of my shorts, rigged and ready. I likely could stuff it back in there, but I'd just as well hand it up to the boat/crew at the boarding ladder..... On the deck, I'll put it back properly..

What if you accidentally deployed the bag and realized, oops, let me put that back away before anyone sees it? I like shooting bags when the captain hasn't been briefed on recreational charters. Plenty of valid reasons :)

Accidentally deploy? You do things for reasons.... I'm not hiding from my needs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom