How to clean a mold disaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Listerine is a disenfectant, but but maybe not a good one for this purpose. I learned about the two products I linked, from the rebreather divers. They use them to clean their breathing loops. These fabric and plastic/rubber materials must be made sanitary because whatever is in there goes straight into the lungs of the diver. These two products seem to be more widely used than any other's I've read about for that use.

Based on their use in hospitals, veternariy clinics, as pre-surgical scrub cleansers, etc., I feel pretty safe with them.

one thing that works well on regs and other silicone items without damage is mild hydrogen peroxide solution, not at hair bleach strength, but at first aid kit strength, your chemist will be able to give you the right one.

one thing that works well on regs and other silicone items without damage is mild hydrogen peroxide solution, not at hair bleach strength, but at first aid kit strength, your chemist will be able to give you the right one.

My wife's mask has custom lenses in it and there are a number of tiny spaces in which moisture lingers. Once, it did not dry properly before being stored in an airtight container. LOTS of mold. I killed the stuff with a small amount of straight bleach, then diluted that and let it sit for a half hour. Stuff was dead, but not completely gone. After a thorough rinse, hydrogen peroxide took care of the rest.

I will have to try these...
I have my "second" mask and I love it but it is getting some discoloration and mold/mildew around the skirting...doesn't bother me but does bother my dive buddies...
Hehe.!!!
K

Sun and saltwater works for me.

Whenever I even suspect the smallest spot of mold on any of my dive gear it means I have to take all of it somewhere hot and dive the hell out of it.

At least thats what I tell my wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom