How To Get To Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madmanmike

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am doing my due diligence and researching the possibility of getting my PADI instructor certification back in Utila. Was an instructor back in '05-'07.

Just using Kayak, Orbitz, it seems almost like you can't get there from Miami. 2 stops, 20 hour layovers, 43 hour total travel times? Am I missing something? Tickets less than $600, but seems like an eternity to get there.

If anyone can point me to a better travel site, I would appreciate it.

Is it better to fly onto San Pedro, then hop over to Utila?

Thank you,
Michael

Utila has a very small airport. Two local airlines (Aero Sosa and CM) offer regular service, but not daily service, via La Ceiba. Small propeller planes are generally used The flights do not run every day. Although there are some international flights to La Ceiba, most fly to San Pedro Sula. From La Ceiba, you can also take a taxi to the marina and then catch one of the ferries to Utila. The ferries run a couple of times a day, weather permitting. Other option. Fly to Roatan, then take ferry to La Ceiba, then ferry to Utila.

Expanding on the options above. It's all pretty much covered here in depth also: Travel to Utila - Tropical Island, Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras

American has a non-stop on Saturday morning to Roatan - not a cheap flight but only 2+hrs. long. I used next month so it might be cheaper later?
Capture.JPG
From there you can fly over - contact Alice at Worldwide to book the local flight. Worldwide has a Facebook page with daily flight options. World Wide Travel Everyone seems happy with her services - she lives on Utila.Morgans Travel is the other option: About Us

They also have local flights out of San Pedro Sula direct to Utila - some stop in La Ceiba first. I don't know that part of it except flights to SAP are at least $500 cheaper when I've checked in the past. Seems to still be the case:
Capture2.JPG

Try to work it out to not overnight in SAP - it's considered un-safe. Murder capital of the world and all that...It doesn't seem to have extended to the Bay Islands though - I felt safe walking around either at night.

The way the ferries work is the Galaxy Wave afternoon ferry departure is possible from Roatan - it docks adjacent to the Utila Princess (same parking lot) so you just walk over. It docks downtown on Utila. Coming back the morning options put you back on Roatan before noon. IIRC it was about a 15min. cab ride from the RTB airport to the Ferry port in Dixon Cove - both on the south side of Roatan. Dozens of cabs will be waiting when you arrive.

The Galaxy leaves at 2pm sharp also. if you miss it, there's a Clarion Suites in French Harbor. Roatan immigration isn't the quickest I've seen either - I believe our flight (and 2 others) landed about 12:15 and we got to the Galaxy terminal at about 1:30.

There's also a bus - Hedman Alas I think from SAP TO La Ceiba - but it stops along the way so I don't think you get there in time same day. Also the ferry port is a further short distance outside of La Ceiba from the bus terminal in town.

Utila isn't much of an airport either - paved runway but just one open building and too far to walk to town so ask someone to pick you up. There's also not a lot of vehicles on Utila so your cab might be a pick-up truck. Probably too far for the golf carts/ATV's but they're popular in town.

Last edited:
Wow, that's cool...especially that they haul cargo, small vehicles or appliances.

Too bad there isn't a ferry that simply makes a daily reversing triangle - Roatan to La Ceiba to Utila to Roatan, Roatan to Utila to La Ceiba to Roatan. Then everyone would have an option for a direct point to point transfer.

See image below from the Utila Dream Facebook page.

Awesome, now all they need to do is update their website...

Is there really the economic demand for that many daily routes between La Ceiba and Utila? Not to mention the Utila Princess runs that route too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom