How To Get To Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a travel agent and have them look into the best routing possible or go directly to the airline's website and see what they have to offer. Fly into San Pedro Sula then either do the bus/taxi option to the ferry or simply grab a flight to Utila from SAP.

I use routing that never shows up on sites like Kayak or Orbitz and my travel agent told me the reason but I forget the details, something to do with a "combination of discount fares" I end up leaving Seattle around midnight and I"m hoisting a beer on Utila before nightfall the following day with only a four hour layover in Houston. The layover(s) in SAP and/or LCE are at best, described as whimsical but you will get there before nightfall.

I was in Utila a couple of years ago. From my experience, gwklein (#2) and diversteve (#4) are perfectly spot on.

I was already in Guate before going to Utila so I ended up taking a bus from Guate to San Pedro Sula (SPS) via Copan Ruinas then flying using SOSA to get to Utila. This worked well, but SOSA aren't great for being on time. In this case it worked in my favour - my bus to SPS was also running late! Of course this is Latin America.

I booked flights out of Roatan, and it worked out well in the end thanks to Alice (as mentioned by Steve) where she was able to get me a seat on a charter flight to Roatan and share costs. If you are flexible on dates this works really well, or are willing to take the risk that you might not be able to fill up the plane. I see on Facebook she publishes dates for forthcoming charter flights they are looking for extra passengers on.

If you want certainty on your tickets and are traveling alone, I'd arrange to fly into/ out of SPS then using SOSA to get to/ from Utila. If you are flexible with time and can get good prices on tickets to Roatan, then use Alice to get a seat on a charter flight.

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom