How To Keep My Mouth Moist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This seems like over kill - but I'm glad it works for you.
Just to be clear, I don't use a FFM to combat dry mouth. But potentially preventing a problem like vomiting underwater sounds like it could warrant exploration FFM to me . Anyhow, a FFM is not so extreme in my opinion. It is a mask + second stage, both of which are mandatory pieces of kit anyway.

I wonder if a 2nd stage with more heavy metal help? Maybe it is in my head, but I kind of think I can tell the difference between a brass 2nd stage vs a Ti 2nd stage vs a plastic 2nd stage. Again, maybe I am dreaming.

I've heard some people say they don't get as bad dry mouth when diving with Nitrox, versus Air.

Try sucking on a hard candy like a Jolly Rancher during the dive.

Personally, I would never do this when breathing my own regulators. I would absolutely not want moisture that contains sugary water/saliva getting into my 2nd stage reg. That seems to be just begging for trouble.

I guess if you're using a rental reg, though, maybe you don't care what you do to it.

Pep-o-mint lifesavers work for me. just make sure you rinse the reg well afterwards. And, do what others have suggested - stay hydrated (very important) and if needed, bring a caprisun or juicebox along.

Pep-o-mint lifesavers work for me.

Good point. Sucking on something that is sugar-free would probably be okay (still making sure to rinse the reg really well after). As long as you didn't accidentally suck on it until it's small and then accidentally expel it into the reg itself.

Or swallow and choke on it...

I like jolly ranchers before, during SI, or after dives. Having a bag of them on board is also a nice way to meet folks.:)

I have a bit of dry mouth due to cancer treatment. I just let a little water into my mouth. The salt seems to stimulate the remaining salivary glands.

I think about how great those fish would taste grilled with butter, and I start salivating.

Back
Top Bottom