how to prevent leg cramps (calves)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the hydration... be sure to start it the day before and not wait until the day you are diving to start drinking water. If you wait until the last minute, most of that will pass right through you.

I second the recommendation to do calf raises.

At least some physicians say the potassium / cramp connection is a myth.
See for example: InteliHealth :

Different fins can help too. Split fins and Force Fins have reputations for not causing cramps.

In general, a healthy person who is not on any medications and who is eating a varied diet is not going to be deficient in potassium. Potassium is ubiquitous in food, and the kidneys mostly have to get rid of excess, rather than trying to retain it.

Cameron Martz has a couple of very good essays on cramps in divers, and ideas to avoid them.

I'm with arkstorm on this one. Swim at least once a week with fins to condition your calf muscles (it's also great for building up your knees, too). Although I was once prone to lower leg cramps, after I started the swimming regimen, I had no more troubles at all.

I've suffered with bad calf cramps for years, in every sport and activity I do. It was a particularly bad problem with diving (and Jiu-Jitsu). I would always be properly hydrated and took regular and comprehensive vitamin and mineral supplements. Before I left the military I was having physiotherapy 3x per week to try and resolve some significant lower leg issues. None of it really prevented the problem.

The solution for me, when diving, was to buy a pair of Force Fins. They work in a particular way, that takes all the strain from your lower legs. I've never had a cramp whilst using them. :D

Last edited:
In general, a healthy person who is not on any medications and who is eating a varied diet is not going to be deficient in potassium. Potassium is ubiquitous in food, and the kidneys mostly have to get rid of excess, rather than trying to retain it.

More proof that it isn't what you don't know that will hurt you, it's what you think you know that ain't so that hurts.
I always believed that potassium stuff myself. You should see the number of bananas that are eaten on RAGBRAI every year.
Live and learn!

Bunch o bananas!
attachment.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom