how to prevent leg cramps (calves)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any type of "stretching" or exercise that can be done prior to going in the water to prevent these nasty toe and/or calf cramps?

Standing Calf Stretch

The feet are placed stride width apart with the front leg slightly bent. The body weight is transferred forward whilst keeping the heel of the back foot on the ground. The stretch is felt down the back of the calf.
The stretch is then repeated on the other side.

standing-stretch.jpg

Other exercises (from Runner's World):

Gastrocnemius (outer calf): Sit with both legs straight. Loop a rope around the ball of one foot and grasp each end of the rope. Flex your foot back toward your ankle, toes toward your knee.
RW0511_calf1.jpg

Soleus (inner calf): Sit with one leg straight and the other bent. Grasp the bottom of the foot on the bent leg. Keeping your heel on the ground, pull your foot toward your body as far as you can.
RW0511_calf2.jpg

Achilles Tendon (attaches heel to calf): Sit with one leg straight and one bent. Bring your heel close to your buttocks. Keeping your heel on the ground, pull your foot toward your body.
RW0511_calf3.jpg

Standing Calf Stretch

The feet are placed stride width apart with the front leg slightly bent. The body weight is transferred forward whilst keeping the heel of the back foot on the ground. The stretch is felt down the back of the calf.
The stretch is then repeated on the other side.

standing-stretch.jpg

Other exercises (from Runner's World):

Gastrocnemius (outer calf): Sit with both legs straight. Loop a rope around the ball of one foot and grasp each end of the rope. Flex your foot back toward your ankle, toes toward your knee.
RW0511_calf1.jpg

Soleus (inner calf): Sit with one leg straight and the other bent. Grasp the bottom of the foot on the bent leg. Keeping your heel on the ground, pull your foot toward your body as far as you can.
RW0511_calf2.jpg

Achilles Tendon (attaches heel to calf): Sit with one leg straight and one bent. Bring your heel close to your buttocks. Keeping your heel on the ground, pull your foot toward your body.
RW0511_calf3.jpg

Thank you for the information!!

Is there a difference between the last two (Soleus and Achilles)?

Aren't the photos showing? :(

Achilles is a tendon... so it takes a lot of stretching. It won't cramp, but it can seize.

The foot and calf exercises shown on the attached PDF file helps for me.

Attachments

• Fitness for Divers foot_calf.pdf
    236.8 KB · Views: 186
Three things come to mind immediately:

1) make sure your fins fit. If they're too tight then it can make it worse
2) dive a lot. Cramps usually disappear with a bit of conditioning
3) slow down slow down slow down. This is the #1 problem I see among new divers who are getting cramps.

R..

Three things come to mind immediately:

......3) slow down slow down slow down. This is the #1 problem I see among new divers who are getting cramps.

R..

Great observation, never thought of it until I read this but it is right on the money...

smbeggs,

We have specifically designed Diver's D\Lyte to prevent leg cramps which are very common to happen while diving.

I'm so sure you will find the relief from leg cramps while using Diver's D\Lyte I'll send you a free 3 pack Dive Saver Kit. Try it and come back here and post your results!

Send me your name, address, email and we will ship to you on Monday morning!:D
Can you supply some information on them

Split fins eased my problem a LOT and eased the knee pain as well:)

Back
Top Bottom