How to rig a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luke Fosburg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have another thread on a dive i will be doing this weekend. The pony tank that I want to use is a brand new 30cf and I will be using an aqualung core supreme reg on it. Not that these things probably matter but I have to buy a mount/harness for the pony. I know that this is purely a matter of preference but I am wondering if YOU THINK it is better for me to sling this or to strap it to my primary tank. Everyone I know who dives is split down the middle and cant explain why. Maybe a couple hints or ease of use tips and why you do what you do would be nice :) Also I am wondering do I still use my octo for the primary tank when using a pony? That would be 3 regulators :/ Thanks for all the help!

Sorry for starting with a question to your question, but what are you wanting to accomplish with implementing a pony that your current gear configuration and training doesn't meet?

you need to answer bob's question before we can give you a real answer. I don't believe in pony bottles, but if you're going to use one, then I think it should be sidemounted, not slung. So rig it like you would sling it, but put a bungee loop on the left side of your backplate and have the valve tucked up and away instead of flapping in the wind

Sorry for starting with a question to your question, but what are you wanting to accomplish with implementing a pony that your current gear configuration and training doesn't meet?

Recently I wanted to get one - I often swim in a very high current where getting to your buddy may prove challenging at times (often coupled with very very low vis). It would be easier to just pull a reg off an independent tank / first stage then to have to worry about getting to the front / side of your buddy. Is it required ,, no, but i think it can come handy if the situation arises where for whatever reason you have ZERO air. (Maybe the first stage came off the valve?)

I'm a big fan of slinging. Firstly the valve is right in front of you. Secondly if you are get comfortable with slinging then it's another lesson learned for the future when the sling tank maybe a deco bottle. Thirdly it's easier to change tanks, you can hand your sling bottle up to a boat or so someone else on a shore dive. It's just easier all round

Personally I keep my Alternate octo on my main rig, with the sling tank, I have 3 regs. Other people are used to the Alternate in the usual place, and if I'm not taking my Sling tank (say a shallow dive) there is no kit re-configuration

Some people will tell you to add weight to stop roll. The only time I add weight (which I attach to the tank on the sling) is when I'm using AL 80 as sling tanks.

I personally don't use the normal sling configuration with the steel band, I have travel slings which have a cam belt instead and can easily be adjusted from a AL 30 to an AL 80, depending on what tank I want to take. But that's my personal preference

Well, for me I have an anxiety about equipment failure so it helps me to relax and feel safer knowing that I can swap regs with another supply ready to go. I do dive in very poor visibility water so many times I lose my buddy and even though he may only be 3 feet away I cant see which direction he is. My intent with the pony tank is that when I work my way down to 130ft I have the redundant air source that so many people recommend.

I'm a big fan of slinging. Firstly the valve is right in front of you. Secondly if you are get comfortable with slinging then it's another lesson learned for the future when the sling tank maybe a deco bottle. Thirdly it's easier to change tanks, you can hand your sling bottle up to a boat or so someone else on a shore dive. It's just easier all round

Personally I keep my Alternate octo on my main rig, with the sling tank, I have 3 regs. Other people are used to the Alternate in the usual place, and if I'm not taking my Sling tank (say a shallow dive) there is no kit re-configuration

Some people will tell you to add weight to stop roll. The only time I add weight (which I attach to the tank on the sling) is when I'm using AL 80 as sling tanks.

I personally don't use the normal sling configuration with the steel band, I have travel slings which have a cam belt instead and can easily be adjusted from a AL 30 to an AL 80, depending on what tank I want to take. But that's my personal preference

This is great info! Thanks for the advice :)

If you are going to get one, at least go ahead and get a good "standard" sized pony that can in fact be used later as you state. I would do no less than a 40cf and would consider that a standard for a 50% or 100% deco bottle. You will also hear different words for bottles you take down with you. Back gas is the stuff on your back, crazy I know. A pony is simply a redundant air source. A stage is a bottle used to lengthen a dive. Deco bottles are bottles with a gas different from your back gas and normally used for decompression.

So if you get yourself a good 40cf pony bottle now. Down the road when you get all technical/deeper you can use that as a deco bottle for your O2. Money well spent.

EDIT : Just reread the first post and see you already have a 30cf. Carry on, my advise for a 40cf is only if you are going out and buying one.

Last edited:
Sling it. Much simpler to handle, better control, more versatile, you have access to the valve, can donate and give the bottle in the event of an OOA.

If you attach the tank to your back, most people need extra weight on one side to compensate. Cant see the valve, cant donate the bottle, may or maynot be able to manipulate the valve.

The difference between backmounting the vs slinging it is so night and day i believe backmounting a pony only survives today because people have seen it in movies/pictures or they have rec BCs that dont have any good d-rings.

I would, use 3 regs just for redundancy, but some people do use the pony as their alternate and dont have an octo for a 2 reg set up. I like the pros of a 3 reg set up and their aren't any real cons.

I agree with Doby's points on 30 vs 40. But there isnt anything wrong if you already bought the 30. Plenty of people use them. I would never get a bottle smaller than 30.

Back
Top Bottom