How to tell whether a sand dollar is alive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I think I can tell now. I'll be sure I'm only grabbing the dead ones, thats what I was concerned about to begin with. I don't have much time to waste at 110ft. waiting to see if they move.

Moose016:
Thanks, I think I can tell now. I'll be sure I'm only grabbing the dead ones, thats what I was concerned about to begin with. I don't have much time to waste at 110ft. waiting to see if they move.

I also remember the lives ones were in a feeding position at an angle to the bottom.
http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_species/print.asp?inhab=143
Partially in, partially out out of the bottom and definitely covered in hairs. Saw a colony once near Monastery Beach in Monterey. Looked like purple vanilla wafers stuck in pound cake...maybe I can use this treat (sand dollar surprise cake) in my imagined restaurant? Someday, sniff. :crying2:

X

If you are real lucky you can actually spot the tracks in the sad that show where they were "walking".

If you want to collect them go to the shore after a big storm.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom