How to try before you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm afraid your gas dwindling is a characteristic of diving. Maybe some more open water experience would build knowledge and confidence. The power of rational thought is vital in all diving but critical in an overhead environment. In a cavern course you can always the external light source and be able to access it.
I am aware that dwindling gas is tha nature of diving. I was referring to a cave-in or a collapse trapping one inside with no way out. Obviously you would make sure to leave a reserve for exiting and a reserve for contingencies. I'm more than likely just being paranoid. Looking into cavern courses and instructors for more information.

That "intro" is pretty much a description of a cavern course. I can really only speak to the cavern courseI took, but we did some drills on land first, then we went into the relatively benign environment of the Ginnie Ballroom to practice laying line, etc. Finally, we went into a couple of other caverns, which, while they certainly consisted of "rocks over our heads," were nonetheless "just" caverns--that is, we could always see daylight, we didn't enter too far, etc.
I realize that now. Sometimes I'm a little dense. I'm already AOW and while not perfect my buoyancy is I feel adequate and I don't leave a cloud of silt behind me like a lot of other people do in crystal river. I am looking for an instructor and probably looking at ginnie. Do you have any recommendations? It sounds like that's where you took your class.

A cave-in or collapse is a vanishingly rare occurrence in cave diving. I've only heard of a couple of instances. Getting lost for one reason or another and/or unable to exit before running out of gas are the chief dangers that the training teaches you how to avoid.

Last edited:
I've already spent thousands on equipment and classes and have scheduled a AN/DP course for early next year. I am not afraid to spend money . . . .

Then I would think again about a quick trip down to Cancun and a few cenote dives with a good guide. It's absolutely beautiful, and if those things don't wow you then nothing will. The crystal clear water and breathtaking scenery will surely help calm your fears (which is both good and bad, I suppose). You'll be too busy marveling at stalactites to think "overhead." I bet a weekend trip with a couple of cenote dives could run you well under $1000. Then again, maybe the idea you have in mind is to expose yourself to less pretty surroundings, figuring if you like that, then it can only get better. From what I have seen, FL caverns really are not very pretty.

A cave-in or collapse is a vanishingly rare occurrence in cave diving. I've only heard of a couple of instances. Getting lost for one reason or another and/or unable to exit before running out of gas are the chief dangers that training teaches you how to avoid.
I figured it's all in my head lol. I know intellectually that it's not likely I'm only worried about what my subconscious has to say about the matter.

I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but when I went to MX, I booked it through CheapCaribbean.com. Round trip for 5 days at an all-inclusive resort, including airfare from Dulles (DC) was something $1100 per person. I check therm periodically because I'd like to go again and they normally have packages like that available. Often, $750 or so for a 4 night/3 day trip.

A cheap trip to MX and some cenote dives is definitely a good way to get yourself inspired for cave training!

Then I would think again about a quick trip down to Cancun and a few cenote dives with a good guide. It's absolutely beautiful, and if those things don't wow you then nothing will. The crystal clear water and breathtaking scenery will surely help calm your fears (which is both good and bad, I suppose). You'll be too busy marveling at stalactites to think "overhead." I bet a weekend trip with a couple of cenote dives could run you well under $1000. Then again, maybe the idea you have in mind is to expose yourself to less pretty surroundings, figuring if you like that, then it can only get better. From what I have seen, FL caverns really are not very pretty.
I'd love to take a trip to Mexico but for now it's just not possible. The wife doesn't have a valid passport yet (waiting on the government sucks) and I am in school full time so the time I do have available is spent either studying or picking up overtime to be able to afford to play. Maybe as a graduation gift to myself.

I'd love to take a trip to Mexico but for now it's just not possible. The wife doesn't have a valid passport yet (waiting on the government sucks) and I am in school full time so the time I do have available is spent either studying or picking up overtime to be able to afford to play. Maybe as a graduation gift to myself.

We just got my g/f her passport. We did not pay the extra for expedited service or anything and it only took about 3 weeks...

I know that caves are dangerous and should not be attempted without proper training but how does someone know if they would like it enough to spend the money? I enjoy diving in springs and looking at rock formations and I think I'd be interested in exploring some caves nothing too intense though. Is there an intro program like there is with diving to try it before you buy it? I would be ok with driving up to north Florida and spending a day with an instructor, even paying for services but buying a whole course up front not sure if I'm gonna like it makes me nervous.

Take a cavern course -- it'll be two to three days of your life, it won't cost you a substantial amount, and you will learn quite a bit if you have a good instructor. You can take it in regular recreational dive gear, with a few modifications (long hose, primary light, backup light, 3 line arrows, safety reel/spool), so your equipment outlay isn't going to be that much either.

Even if you never go into a spring again, I believe a thorough cavern course will make you a better diver because the focus will be on things that will benefit you in any aquatic environment, including buoyancy, trim, propulsion (anti-silting) techniques, awareness, and most importantly, stress management.

I realize that now. Sometimes I'm a little dense. I'm already AOW and while not perfect my buoyancy is I feel adequate and I don't leave a cloud of silt behind me like a lot of other people do in crystal river. I am looking for an instructor and probably looking at ginnie. Do you have any recommendations? It sounds like that's where you took your class.

Cave Country's List of Instructors has a list of decent instructors in the High Springs area. Almost everyone uses Ginnie as one of their sites for cavern courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom