Howdy from Kansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianPH14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't actually say "Howdy".

Whats going on everyone, I'm Brian from Kansas City. I got my OW cert at the Utila Dive Center just before the bay islands shut down for covid in March. I really messed up by pushing straight through OW, AOW and PADI Deep Spec in one go because now I've got the diving itch for sure. Since then its been off to the races collecting all the gear and preliminary certs to use it. This year the name of the game is great lakes shipwrecks in rec profiles. Next year I'll be pushing into double tanks (haven't decided between twinset or sidemount yet) and getting a taste of either intro to tec or intro to cave, or both.

I'm pretty amped to be in a place thats so counter-intuitively stacked with good diving as far as landlocked locations go, being 5 hours from the Missouri caves and 8 from the great lakes. So yeah - drop me a line if you're looking for a dive buddy in the midwest. Covid concerns have pretty much completely opened up my summer through August so I'll be out blowing bubbles every weekend.

Look forward to learning from you all.
Brian

Grew up there, still have plenty of friends and family there. Even got certified there.
Not many great places nearby. There was a scuba park about an hour south of KC, but that closed up about 25 years ago. It was an old rock quarry used for making concrete for I-35.
Last place I dove was a private strip pit lake that an old friend owns. His get-a-way farm. It was only 30' deep, but I didn't care.
Another gone place was just north of Joplin, town of Oronogo had a pretty deep old mine that was turned into a dive park. But that too got closed up. Timing never worked out and I never made that one.

I will suggest to go out and enjoy your diving before getting more certs. The certs just mean you have the basics down, not developed skills. Go diving, go enjoy it. Get those skills honed in. You just got a lot of classes packed into a very short time. You need more time in the water. And the bad part is you don't have much of anything that is close by.

Welcome!

I am about an hour and a half South of you, and sounds like we have some interests in common. Another board member and myself have been diving Stockton while he gets used to doubles and drysuit. There are a few more members from Springfield and the Beaver Lake area. My schedule is kind of odd, and most of my diving is on Thursdays and Fridays.

If you want, I will PM my contact details.

DW

Hello! Welcome to SB! I grew up in Kansas (and catch myself saying 'howdy' every so often!). Did early scuba diving at Kanopolis and Wilson Lakes. I know, not all that great, but good opportunity to get into the water and develop skills.

Back
Top Bottom