hydro and vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to be faithful to the shop but if they keep ripping me off I will start looking elsewhere!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

I have even offered to help the shop at the lake with classes! Safety diving, training assistant, mentoring.

Shop around. It's possible that other shops in the area are charging similar prices. Then again, your shop could be over-charging. If the shop is over-charging, you can always request a price-match.

Whenever you need tank services (hydro, tumbling) beyond a simple VIP, it's best to check out the industrial tank/welding places. That's where the vast majority of dive shops send out their tanks anyway.

Take the tank to the hydro inspection yourself, rather than letting them take it there - and tell them how you feel about them rusting your tanks.

smithfielddiver:6274373:
I don't mind supporting my local dive shop but it is expensive.

Last tank hydro with 32% nitrox fill.

hydro- $35
VIP-$20
Tumbling and Rust Treat- $35
Burst Assy- $20
32% Nitrox-$24
tax-$2.45
Total or $141.45

What do you guys think?

Is this on line or unreasonable?

The dive shop I go to is the only place I go to so if I am having a problem with rust is the shop causing it. This is the second time they have done this on this tank!

What do ya'll think.

Something the dive shops dont tell you is that anyone can take a cylinder to the hydro shop. By cutting out the middle man you can save a few bucks. You can do your own valves, they arnt hard at all. By taking a VIP class you can do your own visuals but it helps to have a good releationship with your LDS if your going to do your own VIPs. Most dive shops wont fill cylinders that dont have a known dive shops VIP sticker on them. If you do your own VIPs it helps if you can get stickers from your LDS but thats something youll have to work out with the owner.

It is possible that your LDS compressor is putting moisture in your cylinders and causing them to flash rust. If this is the case find a new shop. Someone you cant give you a dry fill more than likely isnt giving you the best quality gas either.

As fas as tumbling it can be done on your own or if you get VIP certified you maybe able to do it yourself at your local shop but in my opinion its now worth it. It is a painful process. Get a whip and use it on your cylinders. If its just flash rust a whip and bottom brush should do. If it needs to be tumbled just pay for it.

All I can say about $24 for 32% is RIP OFF. I pay less then that for 100%.

Sounds like you need a few tools some know how and a new LDS. Good luck to you.

Is that why all shops send their own tanks out to other shops for the annual VIS???

NOT

What don't you understand here ??

I'm testing MY own tanks, SURE they'll NOT gona fail
What's the purpose of the VIP now ??

IF a test is done,it should be done by an indepentend person or organisation.
NOT the user him/her self.
Could be me :shakehead:

Okay, you just got my attention, you mean to say that You can take a class and You can do do your own visuals?
I already had my doubts about these visuals (other than generating money for the diveshop)
But now you say you inspect AND put a sicker on it :shocked2:

So IMO the whole VIP system just sucks. :shakehead:

That's correct, anyone can take the class to perform a visual inspection.
They can then inspect scuba tanks, including their own.

Sure it would be easy for someone to just put a new sticker on the tank, but that would defeat the purpose of being able to inspect your own tank.

For me it was a matter of wanting to see the internal condition of my tanks myself, and not just pay someone else to do it. As I've been buying more tanks lately, the cumulative cost is a factor as well.

I guess it's up to the individual to determine if they are capable of being objective when inspecting their own tanks.

As for the dive shop making any profit....I'm not sure where you see any profit in a $10 or $20 VIP.

**As for the other costs you incurred in the example you gave....I would find another shop.

On Guam, the VIP cost $10 and it includes and air fill, which would normally cost $5 alone.
It is the same cost here in Japan.

-Mitch

What don't you understand here ??

I'm testing MY own tanks, SURE they'll NOT gona fail
What's the purpose of the VIP now ??

IF a test is done,it should be done by an indepentend person or organisation.
NOT the user him/her self.
Could be me :shakehead:

I don't know about you but I hold my gear to higher standards than most dive shops.

If you can't trust yourself to do your own VIP, then don't. There are people who do their own VIP who I don't trust, but don't assume they aren't shop employees :wink:

I took my tanks down to getz 26 dollars per hydro 5 dollars per vis.

Whoa missed this...!!
32% Nitrox-$24
Surely not. No one charges more than $15...!

As for the dive shop making any profit....I'm not sure where you see any profit in a $10 or $20 VIP.

How do you figure not for profit? VIS is usually done by tech who would otherwise be idle. So, except for the cost of the sticker and fill, it is all profit. And, typically a less than 10 minute job for most tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom