Hypothetical Pony Bottle Ooa Situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am with @Reku, very simple change on the ole Petrel.

Off Topic: It's literally 5 clicks using 2 buttons per computer - I can actually do the change for both computers in less than 6 seconds. This only comes from crazy amounts of muscle memory.

On Topic: Op - just do whatever you have to do to get to the surface safely. Skipping the computer change won't get you killed at that shallow depth (Assuming you are within NDL). Might as well just ignore the computer and start to ascend.

@Reku That's not off topic: it's reality. You've switched to your new gas physically, now switch your PDC(s). What else do you have going on??? Washing your hair? Getting a manicure? Perhaps you need to post about it on ScubaBoard? It's important to stop compounding error on top of error and stop guessing. You're already under stress, you simply don't need to add guessing to the level. Take the six seconds and change your PDC. Don't have a PDC??? Why are you carrying multiple gasses? It's just not responsible. Do yourself a solid and change your PDC.

This was a hypothetical question. In reality I dive nitrox and I whip my pony tank so typically its somewhere around 34. MOD 122 at 1.6. Good for all my diving.

@Reku That's not off topic: it's reality. You've switched to your new gas physically, now switch your PDC(s). What else do you have going on??? Washing your hair? Getting a manicure? Perhaps you need to post about it on ScubaBoard? It's important to stop compounding error on top of error and stop guessing. You're already under stress, you simply don't need to add guessing to the level. Take the six seconds and change your PDC. Don't have a PDC??? Why are you carrying multiple gasses? It's just not responsible. Do yourself a solid and change your PDC.

I know right - you have like 50+ solid feet of doing literally nothing while you ascend - if anything change your computers just to stave off the boredom. Honestly even after a failure as described by OP - if you plan accordingly you are still actually very safe and not in any danger. Yea you now need to go to the surface but other then that ... all is well and there isn't really any rush....more than enough time to change the settings.

I think it depends. Consider that there are relative beginners diving nitrox and carrying pony bottles, many who have no intention of developing the skills and knowledge, or purchasing a dive computer with an eye towards, deco dives that require a gas switch.

By the time you get to your safety stop there's essentially no functional difference in ppO2 between any recreational nitrox mix and air anyway. I'd concentrate more on maintaining a reasonable and expeditious ascent rate on that pony vs. switching gases on your computer. Messing around on the bottom thinking the gas switch is relevant is counterproductive. Just ascend, do a 3 to 5 min safety stop gas permitting, live to dive another day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom