I-95 vs Florida Turnpike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Believe it or not, it was traffic that was the issue. I stopped for a sit-down lunch in Daytona Beach. At some point in S.FL. I could see all the traffic on the TP from I-95. I was cruising around 85mph and they were bumper to bumper. Out trip originated in Tallahassee. They left around 11am, I left closer to 12:30pm, and was concerned about chasing the sun. I hate trying to find hotels in the dark. It was twilight when I pulled into our hotel in Miami Lakes.

As a coach, I am on the road a lot. Sometimes, several times per week. Though I am not always headed south. If the TP works better for you.. great. I-95 works great for me so I stick with it.
I guess it depends on the time of day and whether there was an accident. If going down to the SE i use the TP which is usually nicer in rush hour, outside of that time its just the extra miles and such to weigh up.

If i am running around on the coast between dive spots etc, i usually use 95 rather than further inland, during rush hour i still stick with the TP, but on weekends i would hit 95 if running north and south. I understand your reasoning, just hadnt seen that kind of difference before hence my questioning.

Bill51:
I live 10 miles east of I95 now, so I always take it, but during rush hour traffic I jump over to the turnpike before West Palm. I’ve made the trip from Kansas City a few times and the turnpike was a little faster than going over to I95.

Should I warn my Jayhawk friends in Key West that some Mizzu Tigers are descending on them?

There are JayHawks in Key West? I thought Key West was going to be paradise not Lawarance south.

I think we will stick with the TP since that is what the GPS is telling us to do also.

Coming from MO, Turnpike by a long shot. You'll pick up I-75 at Lake City a good hour or so before you'd hit I-295 over in in Jax.

And then, on the stretch from WPB to Fort Pierce, I-95 is 10 miles longer. As others mentioned, I-95 will drop you off in downtown Miami and you need to go another 30 miles or so to Homestead before you enter the Keys.

I will firstly establish my experience by stating I worked as a outside sales for a large firm and my territiory was Gainesville South. I drove an average of 4500 miles a month. The Turnpike is without a doubt your best bet. I-95 is a terrible way to get to the keys.

I'll give you another tip.. when you get off the turnpike watch on the left hand side for the CardSound Road bypass.

ERic

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom