I need a SoCal Diving Guide for Dummies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you drive up to Ventura to see Anacapa, the boats there (Spectre and Explorer for sure) will offer full gear rental. They will have the gear you order on the boat when you arrive. The drive to Ventura can be a pain in the butt in traffic, so you have to time it. Anacapa tends to have lots of seals which are fun to play with.

Catalina still amazes me, every time I go I see something new. Anyway, most of the captains are seeing light loads in this economy and need all the business they can get. If you need some specific gear its worth a call, even of they don't advertise they will often help you out if possible. I personally dislike Sports Chalet charters, but its a good place to rent from as they allow you to pick up gear the day before and return the day after for just a single rental.

Pacific wilderness in San Pedro has a nice website showing their prices for rental gear.
sports Chalet in torrance is a bit more on prices about $10 more per day.
You should have your own mask, gloves, booties, fins.
Not sure when in Feb you are here, but Sundiver has a dive to the oil rigs 2/5
Great Escape has 2/18
Magician 2/25
The above 3 are all nice boats.

I would very strongly suggest that you NOT do the trip to the oil rigs. Although they are really beautiful and unique, I don't think they're a good place for a new diver and someone who hasn't dived cold water before to start. The bottom on those sites is between 250 and 600 feet, and current can be significant. Outside of the rigs is nothing except shipping traffic. I would class them as advanced dives.

Go out to the islands. There are sheltered sites there, and that's where the kelp is.

We have kelp that's much closer in than Catalina in and around San Diego. The visibility can be less good than at Catalina, but it's also less time consuming and expensive if you're going to be down this way. You can also dive kelp at La Jolla Cove with a little surface swim. There's a lot of diving in Southern California. Given you're new divers, I'd start reaching out to the area clubs and shops to see what they have planned. There's usually several groups on Meetup.com that are organizing shore trips or shops that have boats going out. You really shouldn't have any problems finding people to dive with or places to secure gear and/or transport to the sites.

I would very strongly suggest that you NOT do the trip to the oil rigs. Although they are really beautiful and unique, I don't think they're a good place for a new diver and someone who hasn't dived cold water before to start. The bottom on those sites is between 250 and 600 feet, and current can be significant. Outside of the rigs is nothing except shipping traffic. I would class them as advanced dives.

Go out to the islands. There are sheltered sites there, and that's where the kelp is.

I couldn't agree more. I'm on that rig trip- it is live boat drop off and pick up, and it is not for an inexperienced open ocean diver. I would disqualify some "advanced certified" divers as well if they do not have the right experience and skills.

Thanks for the advice. Oil rigs sound cool but I definitely want to see kelp first. We are looking at diving Saturday, February 25th. We fly back Sunday but our flight doesn't leave till 4:30pm.

I haven't even worn a wet suit in years. I usually go in trunks and rashguard. But I'm looking forward something totally different :)

Oil rig is a good way to kill yourself if you're not a very good diver.

I can schedule in for 25 FEB outing.

Dive Boat Sundiver The Sundiver charter is always a good boat to go out with.
Magician Dive Boat San Pedro CA Schedule of Trips Magician is also another good boat - it has Nitrox capability and this particular day is an open boat day instead of chartering through Sport Chalet.

I'm on that rig trip- it is live boat drop off and pick up, and it is not for an inexperienced open ocean diver

Not really on topic, but it always makes me smile a little when SoCal folks say this. ALL of our charters in Puget Sound (with a very rare exception) are live boat. We're used to that; it's finding the boat again that's a challenge to us PNWers!

Just curious, why are dive shops and charters separate? Maybe I'm spoiled and I don't mean to brag but as I'm landlocked and only go on a dive trip ever 1-2 years, I've only been to "all-inclusive" dive shops that are right next to their boat. You get all your equipment that morning and they set up all your gear for you and change your tanks. I've never had to worry about getting my own air. Perhaps it is because there's so many locals in SoCal and its not so much of a tourist destination as a Caribbean island? Will we need to get all our gear the day before or can I get it that morning?

There are a few dive shops that have their own boats: ScubaLuv and & Catalina Divers Supply at Avalon (capital city of Catalina Island) plus Ventura Dive & Sport. Peace boat used to have their own shop too but no more. With ScubaLuv and CDS, you'd have to take the Catalina Express ferry over to Avalon and then get on these dive boats.

As far as gears, it's all depends. Is the boat going to rent you the gears or are you going to rent at the shop? If it's the former, then they'll have your gears at the boat. If it's the latter then you'll have to pick up the gears the day before.

We're going to a conference and already have the hotel booked. Holiday Inn Downtown. I assume renting a car is the best way to get to the dive shop and boat? I'm looking into Sports Chalet, Sundiver, Pacific Star, and Sand Dollar. Sports Chalet has two trips on Saturday, February 25th: Catalina and Santa Cruz/Anacapa. Which one would be better? It says it includes food and air... so I'm gonna have to lug around my tanks and weights? Will I just have one tank and they refill it on the boat? This kind of diving is so different!

Yes, rent a vehicle to get around. I personally wouldn't charter through Sport Chalet. They're an OK shop but you'd have to pay a mark-up over the boat fee. Sundiver is a good boat. I went on the Pacific Star twice - will not use it ever again. Sand Dollar is OK. Yes, the boats have air compressors to fill your tank with.

Catalina is closer to where you will be at. Anacapa is at the northern channel islands which means two-hours of northward driving. Also, I've been disappointed with the giant kelps forest at Anacapa lately (as in no kelps).

Pending that we definitely work this day of diving into our schedule, who wants to join us (thanks for the offer fnfalman!)? Would you be joining us just for fun or should we pay you for being a guide? Is that a thing? Freelance dive guides? haha that would be a great job.

We don't charge fellow divers for guide. Just your smiles would be enough payment for us.

Last question- in Bonaire my girlfriend had to descend pretty slowly to equalize and her ears bothered her for the week after. Any suggestion to ease her troubles? A histamine before the dive? I've never had any problems. I can just open my mouth and equalize!

Thanks!

Doc's Pro Ear plugs - make sure it's the diver's plug and not the swimmer's plug.

As far as bunks for napping, once you have gotten wet, you're not allowed into the bunk area any more. Not until after you're done diving and put on dry suit again.

Back
Top Bottom