I want to know if some think it cool,to hunt for sport and not for food!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have seen a lot of post regarding Lion fish hunting or irradiation. While I understand the evasive fish problem, I
also have reservations in regards to hunting for the purpose of extermination or eradication. I would hope some would actually eat what they killed. Is this possible? Why are some choosing not to ? I spearfish and lobster dive but for the purpose of eating what I kill.

Am I I wrong for bringing this up. Is their other ways of controlling the population other than eradication?

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

In the case of invasive species I don't have a problem with not eating them.I do not support killing anything else not to be eaten,worn or otherwise utilized.
I sell most of my lionfish but do eat some.

I don't support killing anything for fun/sport if it ends up in the garbage and not eaten or worn. The lionfish and other similar cases are an exception and it is done for the greater good as long as all experts agree that this is what should be done, I have no problem with this at all. It will be very nice if the lionfish doesn't go to waste and it is used for food or some other commercial purpose that is useful for society. If not, then it is still OK as long this is required to protect the environment.

I do NOT support hunting trips or spearfishing tournaments where the catch is thrown in the garbage.

If the lion fish is big enough to eat then I would eat it, but I would also hope even small lion fish would be hunted to keep them from getting "eating sized" at the expense of other, native species.

I am glad to hear some have eaten Lion fish.! Thats great!!! Would you consider them good to eat or tasty. Do you have a special way to cook them or perhaps tips for others?

If they are edible, I think this would be a really good thing to pass along. I think it is always important to question if what we are doing is ethical and if we can do something to maintain our moral principals,and not compromise them then that is worth looking into,IMO.

I hope science could help control the population in the near future. Perhaps genetic engineered sterile Lion fished could be introduced to a specific area to begin to really control the population. I am not sure but I am just curious about all this and I did not know how many felt about it.
Thanks,
Frank G

Last edited:
I heard lion fish are delicious!
Kind of buttery and delicate like sand dabs.
I would kill as many as I could and eat all of them even at the expense of a gut ache or protein overdose.
I've even contemplated doing a vacation to a lionfish infested area just so I could do my part as a responsible American citizen to kill as many of those little bastards as I possibly can! Then proceed to eat my kill, sautéed in olive oil, butter, white wine, garlic, and paired with some fine Sonoma County wine of course.

I heard lion fish are delicious!
Kind of buttery and delicate like sand dabs.
I would kill as many as I could and eat all of them even at the expense of a gut ache or protein overdose.
I've even contemplated doing a vacation to a lionfish infested area just so I could do my part as a responsible American citizen to kill as many of those little bastards as I possibly can! Then proceed to eat my kill, sautéed in olive oil, butter, white wine, garlic, and paired with some fine Sonoma County wine of course.

Sounds delicious! Its funny reading that actually made me hungry! Now I need to have a snack!
I hope most guys who hunt Lion Fish them could do the same.:stirpot:

Frank G

they go great with a little cajun style breading.

problem is they do not have much meat - they are all spines and feathers. 10 lionfish barely made enough for appetizers for 4 people.

and the funny thing is that they ask a pretty penny for them as a pet and yes i know thisis how they became a problem when people released them into the wild

Back
Top Bottom