I want to know if some think it cool,to hunt for sport and not for food!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lionfish population around Sr croix are hunted deliberately. The Caribbean reef sharks have now learned a Pavlovian response to the rubber bungee sound of spears releasing from spearguns. The sharks will follow divers 30 feet away and eat lions right off the tips of spears. Clearly the sharks have eaten multiple lionfish in the past and seem to not be bothered by the spines or poison. Plenty of people ate cooking lion fish as delicasies.

If diving with a charter or dive shop in st croix, they require you to have taken the underwater hunter course or they won't let you hunt. They say you need proper training. Whatever.

Here in utah there are fresh spring lakes (blue lake specifically) where someone released tilapia. You can now hunt the tilapia with no catch limit, just a license, as it is considered a non native species. I would never spear the tilapia unless o was planning on eating it.

I'd eat the lion fish too, but would not feel bad if I left it on the reef for sharks.

Maybe I have a problem with the saying, "KILLING LIONFISH FOR FUN". I don't feel comfortable saying that nor do I want to receive that message. Keep the message clear and ethical : help the reef by hunting these animals and feed yourself and others, or leave it for the other predators to consume.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Have you killed Lionfish? Holy crap that's a lot of fun.

Who says you shouldn't have fun while helping the environment?

Have you killed Lionfish? Holy crap that's a lot of fun.

Who says you shouldn't have fun while helping the environment?
I have not killed Lion fish to answer your question. But I would if they were invading my reef in my area, just like you. I was merely stating that while our intentions is to help the environment, as hunters we can also hunt and respect life. Words have meaning and the way you state them also sends a message, I find that is kind of important, and that is just my opinion.

Frank G

Last edited:
Pondering the thread title, I suspect one aspect of this issue is the question of whether it's okay to enjoy hunting and killing something, to derive some sort of gratification from that, or whether that's something to be denied, ashamed of, seen as sadistic, etc...

Through much of human history, hunting has been important in providing people food. I believe it is in the nature of at least some people to enjoy hunting. But inflicting pain is not the aspect enjoyed; skillfully making a 'clean' kill, quick and merciful, is much preferred. 'Getting out' and enjoying nature is part of it. Having a set, measurable goal with uncertainty of reward could appeal; reminds me of how watching a sporting event is more exciting if you've bet money on it.

I grew up around land hunters, mainly deer and squirrel, but occasional exposure to discussions about hunting turkey and duck, and boat/shore fishing was popular. People didn't just do it for food. On the other hand, that type of hunting was mainly of native species (except for wild hogs, which were invasive but I don't think that was common knowledge), and killing just for sport could inspire eradication of the source of pleasure.

Put another way, ever heard of 'Ducks Unlimited?' Turns out many duck hunters are supports of wetlands preservation. People who enjoy hunting often have an interest in the preservation of the target species and their habitat.

In the modern day, many people grow up in suburban or urban environments where hunting, killing and eating wild animals is not a common part of their experience, and I imagine it seems very different to them.

Richard.

So back to the original post - I spearfish but almost always carry a lionfish polespear. They eat excellent - I would put them on par with hogfish (IMHO) but with a smaller flake and more delicate flavor. They are excellent as sashimi and when on a boat, I'm usually carrying soy & wasabi for that end. Ceviche is also very good as is a wine, butter, shallot, garlic, lemon sauce. In Curacao, technically you aren't allowed to spearfish but we were enthusiastically provided with lionfish keepers/polespear for those of us who wanted to hunt. Once you got below 60' you knew why. We were directed though to remove the spines prior to leaving any on the reef if you weren't taking them. Apparently one of the DMs had come across a fairly good sized green moray dead with a spine through the roof of its mouth. Trimming spines can be a chore and yes, I have been envenomated a few times and been bumped by lemons wanting my sandwich (which it ended up getting). Reefs with lions are immediately noticeable due to the lack of small fish/fry - there will be a dead zone and you know there's one nearby. Frequently dove reefs are fairly clear here in Florida - locals do a good job of keeping the population down. Deep reefs and other infrequently visited areas will unfortunately always be source of re-population - the lionfish are here to stay and I don't think you'll ever be able to eradicate them even with a sterilization program. Kill them all is my motto but that will never happen - they are everywhere sadly. Fortunately though the commercial side is picking up and that will help cull the population. What would be nice though is if all areas were open to lionfish harvesting. A 28" polespear has almost no use against anything but lion fish. I can understand the fear of incurring reef damage and injury liability worry on charters but an experienced hunter can really make an impact to the population.

I have not killed Lion fish to answer your question. But I would if they were invading my reef in my area, just like you. I was merely stating that while our intentions is to help the environment, as hunters we can also hunt and respect life. Words have meaning and the way you state them also sends a message, I find that is kind of important, and that is just my opinion.

Frank G

The way I state them sends a message? Like what???

Let me make the message crystal clear. Hunting lionfish is fun, whether you eat them or not. If you eat them great, they're tasty. But if it's inconvenient for you to clean and prepare them or if you just don't like eating fish, go ahead and kill them anyway and don't feel the least bit bad about it. I always go for the quickest kill, but that's as much respect for an invasive species as I can muster.

Google "lionfish stomach contents" and look at the images that come up.

yes, and I know more than a few folks who kill them and leave them on the reef since they don't want the hassle of de-spining and the possibility of getting poked.

Do de-spine, it seems you would need long handled clippers. Any recommendations?

We are the generation that remembers when there were no lionfish. In 20 or 30 years, divers will not know of a time when there were none....it won't really be an invasive species to them anymore. Then, it will be just like hunting any other fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom