Ideas For The Placement Of A Dual-outlet Canister?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to streamline the position of the light canister on my sidemount rig, and I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. I have Halcyon Contour, and a Light Monkey 2x10 dual-outlet canister that powers my light and my heated vest (two E/O cords are sticking out of the canister lid, one long that goes to the light, and one short that connects to the thermovalve on my suit).

In the few sidemount dives I made so far, I have always been wearing my light canister in the same way, and in almost the same place as in backmount, that is, in the front, on the right side on my waist belt, secured with an extra buckle I have threaded on the webbing for that purpose. This was recommended by my instructor, and apparently many people dive this way.

I don't really like that placement, since it sticks out in the front, actually more so than in a backmount rig. Backmount rig puts the canister right against the backplate, on the back of my hip, whereas here, it ends up much more towards the front of my hip, sort of dangling, and exposed. The Contour was clearly not designed to carry a canister in that position, and it feels suboptimal. I'd ideally put in on my back.

I'd even be willing to invest in a dedicated sidemount lid, but LM doesn't make dual-outlet lids with side glands. With straight glands, the canister would end up pretty long, and in a horizontal position, wider than the bladder. Perhaps that may be usable with just sidemount tanks, but will prevent me from adding a deco bottle on top, so I think a nonstarter.

Does anyone have experience with placements other than those two? Carrying the canister on the butt comes to mind as a possibility, but seems a bit odd with straight glands. Vertical placement? Hard to access the switch, I suspect. Vertical along the side of the wing? Other ideas?

Trying to compare the feel of side placement of a canister with sidemount and backmount is almost apples and oranges. With backmount there is that snug secure feeling with that tight area between the body/back plate and wing. Get a 3rd party verification from your profile that it hangs well, and make adjustments if not,but you may need to get used to a different feeling,giving adequate time to develop that muscle memory. Your harness and set up looks new, and I am going to guess that it will dives with tweeks before you get what you seek. FWIW, I like a sidemounted and buttmounted canister, and will swap based on the dive planned-not having a 90 degree angled gland for butt mount is okay, just need long enough cord to avoid the strain.

Thanks, brother. When you say you switch based on the dive: on what kinds of dives do you prefer one vs. the other, what are the pros and cons? Also, what cord lengths do you use for butt mount? I'll have to measure, but good having a point of reference for comparison.

I moved to strapping my canister onto the back of my plate, kind of between the wing and the plate. My canister is a bit smaller than yours so it might not be an option for you. Also, the switches for my lights are on the head, so I don't need to reach it during a dive.

I moved to strapping my canister onto the back of my plate, kind of between the wing and the plate. My canister is a bit smaller than yours so it might not be an option for you. Also, the switches for my lights are on the head, so I don't need to reach it during a dive.

Hi Kelemvor, I see you are wearing the Nomad, do you mean you attach your canister to those 2 small D-rings on the back, vertically alongside your body, resting on top of the tank? Mind sharing a picture of your setup?

Thanks, brother. When you say you switch based on the dive: on what kinds of dives do you prefer one vs. the other, what are the pros and cons? Also, what cord lengths do you use for butt mount? I'll have to measure, but good having a point of reference for comparison.
I like butt mounting when I am doing very small cave passage,but a lot has to do with the wattage of the light I want,since my lower wattage is butt mount and higher wattage is waistband. I am 6'1" and I have 68" cord length.

Hi Kelemvor, I see you are wearing the Nomad, do you mean you attach your canister to those 2 small D-rings on the back, vertically alongside your body, resting on top of the tank? Mind sharing a picture of your setup?
I guess I forgot to mention that this is how I do it in backmount bp/w. In sidemount, I mount the canister on the butt plate. Sorry for the confusion.

I butt mount small canisters but something that massive I would waist mount and just live with the splaying out of the right SM tank due to the canister underneath.

Thanks, everyone.

Get a 3rd party verification from your profile that it hangs well,

Here's a picture from yesterday's dive, the canister is visible right underneath the front half of the right tank, it's the lowest point of the rig (not counting the corrugated hose, which I also need to streamline). Does it look like it hangs the way it's supposed to?

View media item 200335
I butt mount small canisters but something that massive I would waist mount and just live with the splaying out of the right SM tank due to the canister underneath.

I take it you mean it'd essentially be sandwiched in-between my hip and the right tank. I haven't tried it actually, I'd imagine it uncomfortable while walking, but maybe it'll work just fine in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom