If you could spend a month on Grand Cayman…..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well we pulled the trigger and had an offer accepted on a place on SMB. Looking forward to spending winters diving in the Caymans instead of shoveling New England snow. Now I can start working on the Dive 365 list...

Congratulations, I envy you!

Well we pulled the trigger and had an offer accepted on a place on SMB. Looking forward to spending winters diving in the Caymans instead of shoveling New England snow. Now I can start working on the Dive 365 list...

My son and his family live on the island. I'm usually there several times a year. Maybe we can hook up for a dive sometime.

lol another person who liked GC so much they bought a condo! Congratulations.

Just one small correction - from the Coconut Bay shore dive (Hepp's Pipeline), you would turn LEFT to go towards Macabuca - right would take you in the opposite direction. You can actually see the "patio" at Macabuca from Coconut Bay shoreline. It is a private site, so you would need to make some arrangements with the owners or a local dive op before diving it (talk to either Duncan from Stingray Watersports or Nat from InDepth Watersports).

A long surface swim from either there, Lighthouse Point or Turtle Reef would actually put on you on the big wall, so you can do deep dives as shore dives, if you want.

Just in case anyone else is interested in the original topic - if I were on GC for a month and wanted to do a lot of diving, I would be doing shore dives as much as possible. There is so much to see at just about every location - the ones I listed above, plus Eden Rock and Sunset House down in George Town. I would then supplement that with boat dives from a small dive op. Which one would depend on where I was staying, because I would want it to be convenient.

I hate getting up at the crack of dawn when I am on vacation (not a morning person) so an op that goes out later than 8am for 2-tank boat dives would be a massive plus for me.

I would make sure that I did Stingray City (the dive site, not the sandbar) and the ex-USS Kittiwake at least once - I may want to do the Kittiwake more than once.

I would also want to spend a little time diving on the sister islands, too.

Gah - you are correct. I used the wrong swimming direction re: Hepp's Pipeline. My bad! It's an incredible dive either going to the left or the right and Duncan is awesome!

...Just in case anyone else is interested in the original topic - if I were on GC for a month and wanted to do a lot of diving, I would be doing shore dives as much as possible. There is so much to see at just about every location - the ones I listed above, plus Eden Rock and Sunset House down in George Town. I would then supplement that with boat dives from a small dive op. Which one would depend on where I was staying, because I would want it to be convenient...

I am sorry to tell you this, but the Eden Rock site may have been destroyed:
Ship dropped local pilot weeks before Eden Rock crash | Cayman Compass

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom