igills new iphone case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also two other companies that are working on a submersible iPhone case.......

There are more ..... one I can mention is MoceanArmor

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I think I am going to get one these for my wifes birthday. She has a Vyper Air
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] now but she loves here Iphone and this pretty cool. To bad it cannot sync with the air for pressure. (yet) For less than $400 I would have bought this first. Any thoughts on this it is really new so no reviews I could find.[/FONT]
iPhone Dive Computer | Scuba Diving iPhone Case, Dive Log

John

Smart Dive Computer

- The SE-35's integrated computer and sensors work with your iPhone to provide advanced dive computer functionality with an easy to use interface. Multiple diving modes including Air, Nitrox, and Gauge add to its versatility. iGills includes ascent rate indication, nitrogen loading tracking over multiple dives, low time and depth alarms, altitude compensation, and more. As you navigate to other screens to take pictures or video, the most relevant dive parameters like depth and time remaining go with you. All your critical information is always in view... And it's all delivered to you on the beautiful Retina display.

Have you tried downloading the app and having a play? I did and wasn't overly impressed. It's obviously restricted without the hardware but it will give you some idea.

I am just I scared to take my iPhone under water. I have a life proof case for it and still flinch when it gets wet.

... granted, one assumes that legal liability and product testing would have ensured that the item works as advertised, right?
As for crashes- it says to put the phone in airplane mode and shut down all other background aps. I run my phone in similar modes and it has never crashed under those circumstances.

That is a fair question, but an unenlightened assumption. What is the legal exposure and obligation of this company? And what are they worth/insured for? Well, as for doing our due diligence, has anyone actually read the legal disclaimers on the product web site (bottom right corner)? That was the first thing I did, and while it didn't give me a shred of confidence, I don't know, maybe Sunto, Oceanic, ScubaPro, etc. are not so different. I see no evidence that any manufacturer is bound to their respective products performing. Sunto for example "does not warrant that the operation of the Product will be uninterrupted or error free". My experience with Oceanic is identical, and product repairs are entirely at the company's discretion - even if the company has listed specifications on their web site, as well as literature - that are not supported in reality on their hardware. (I have first hand experience with this, but my guess is that I should not discuss that here) Yes, you can sue, but anyone who has had more than a passing interest or experience in Law (not the TV type) knows that litigation is rarely a useful solution in this area. Stated specs are largely sales tools, and do not often reflect real life experience. We have all read the iPhone specs, Apple says my phone should be at 60% to 70% this time of day, in fact it is at 17%. What do I do, sue Apple?

So as divers, the phrase Caveat Emptor must take on added meaning, as not only your money, but your life is in the balance and you need to carefully choose your equipment and suppliers. So who would chose a primary piece of diving equipment that needs to be charged (possibly) during your safety stop? And you may need to open the case on the water in order to do that? Oh, your wife unplugged your charger last night to use the hair drier? - your dive day is now formally shot to heck, but on the bright side you can now go to the market to do some shoe shopping! two words - Risk Management.

Sound like a great idea that could use some more work-shopping. Like that good comment made earlier, to add a battery pack to the unit.

I don't have the "what if it floods/crashes/battery dies/EMP blast underwater/Samsung sues how-do-I-end-my-dive" concerns, I just have the "do I want to spend $850 to replace my phone IF it floods" concern. $850 buys a pretty nice dive computer.

I started diving and wanted a BIG AI console, now a hundred dives later I use a wrist computer and a SPG. I sure don't want to bring my phone along, that's why I dive to get away from it!

If it crashes, it crashes, same as for any computer. What's your SOP for that situation?

If it crashes, it crashes, same as for any computer. What's your SOP for that situation?

If your question is to me... my SOP when I have PF (predictive failure) is to CAN (put in the can) the OF (ofending device) and GS (go shopping) for something less likely to fool me twice.

If I was using a backup computer on all previous dives, keep diving the remaining computer. If not, the dive is over. Return to surface in a slow controlled manner as per your dive plan (for me, no deco but hold a safety stop for 3 min). No diving for 24 hours - thereafter, a new computer or tables.

Back
Top Bottom