I'm addicted but non-divers don't care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of my friends or family dives so that is why I love SB. Only SB'ers understand the addiction.

I'm always being asked, "Aren't you afraid of the sharks?".
My reply is always "Nope, cause we're not on their menu."

Besides if EVERYONE loved scuba can you imagine the traffic jam underwater. It's better that they don't get it.

I think we need a 12-step program for scuba addiction:

1. Admit you have a problem and are powerless over your addiction.
2. Come to believe that a higher power will restore your sanity.
3. Oh, screw the rest of the steps, let's go get wet! :)

I keep my dive gear in my living room so I can look at it <--he says in his best Homer Simpson voice with a 1000 yard stare

I'm hooked too. I started to get a little bored (just a little) and I went out on a boat off Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands and a guy was on board with cameras we could take off and dive with. All we had to do was sign that we'd bring them back to the boat. He set up the cameras and pictures were beautiful. So I bought my own camera and haven't looked back. But it took me three years to take great pictures abain. Thanks Joe of Optiquatics, you got me hooked.

Now when I come back, all my co-workers want to see the pictures. It's gotten so bad we actually have a staff meeting so I can show off. :crafty:

But they give all the excuses too. No one gets it but that's ok. I like being with my buddy and no one else around.

I'm always being asked, "Aren't you afraid of the sharks?".
My reply is always "Nope, cause we're not on their menu."

My reply is that more people die each year EATING sharks than are EATEN by sharks.

Think about it. Apex predators are often not very good to eat; they bio-accumulate toxins. Sharks are filled with PCBs and mercury. Some people have allergic reactions and some simply choke on their "food".

I guess they think about scuba diving the way I think about knitting - I don't care how many different knitting strokes there, and how pretty it looks when finished, I just don't want to do it myself. :D Fortunately there are always enough scuba nuts to find in any scuba diving area. Join a club, start your own, and get really involved in persuading others to join and arranging all these different dives you can do. Good luck.

Dutch Springs: I guess if I had done more than a handful of dives at Dutch Springs I would think it felt old. It's a hell of a drive out there to dive in a quarry. Great place for training but that's about it. Thankfully we have interesting beach and boat dives on the longer island than Manhattan. :wink:

Whine, Whine, Whine! You guys think you have it tough, but try being an obsessed diver who lives on a Caribbean island. Very few Caribbean people dive (certainly, very few Caymanians) so, even though the reef is within spitting distance, no one in your social group may actually CARE! Of course, there is always the tourist community ...

You come here and talk about it /thread :p :wink:

Whine, Whine, Whine! You guys think you have it tough, but try being an obsessed diver who lives on a Caribbean island. Very few Caribbean people dive (certainly, very few Caymanians) so, even though the reef is within spitting distance, no one in your social group may actually CARE! Of course, there is always the tourist community ...

Not to push you,BUT.....

solo.?

Maybe it's not for you but it's an option.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom