I'm addicted but non-divers don't care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sighhhhh....I have so been there in your shoes. I just hate seeing the eyes start to glaze over just when I have some poor person collared, unable to escape, and am regaling them with my latest underwater adventure:shakehead:

I'm addicted to diving. It's all I can think about when I'm not focused on tasks at hand. And I want to share my passion with others. Unfortunately, unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. And some fellow divers don't get it either unless they are truly hooked.

I'm taken aback by this and wonder how others have handled such encounters. Any tales or tips? Fun and sarcastic repartee welcome.

:scubadiver
there are non divers in the world :shocked2:

or maybe its just, maybe i dont talk to non divers :dork2:

The longer I'm a diver the more I find non-divers to be tedious and boring. When they ask some silly question I paraphrase the tag line from an old Jeep commercial; "It's a Diver thing. You wouldn't understand".

I stopped wasting my time "sharing" with non-divers. Got tired of the dazed cow look.

Steve.

It's been 2 weeks since my last dive and 3 weeks since my first. I had no idea how addicting it would be. In the last 2 weeks I spent a small fortune on books and equipment. The other day I took my boat out for a short fishing trip and passed a group shore diving from a beach. I wanted to jump off and join them. I was watching them so intently that I almost hit a buoy. I look forward to my next dive like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

O BOY,an other human lost to the scubavirus.:rofl3:
D.I.P brother.:D

Obsessed?...Hmmm paging thru the dictionary so I can make sure I'm spelling obsessed right "Pony" catches my eye.. I page back to see if it said "pony bottle"

Obsessed?... I'm selling my 4-wheeler so I can buy "something" Seriously, I'm like a kid with his 2 dollar allowance in his hand walking thru the K-mart looking for something to buy.:D

With 11 dives logged I am just starting to realize how addicted I am. I feel your pain. Luckily I have some family members that dive too so I can usually muster up some dive conversations with them. Other than that I have to spend time on SB :), or online shopping for items to put on my wishlist.

I think it's not just diving that other people aren't interested in... it could be any passion or hobby or even job that you have that would "bore" others. People get more involved in conversation when common bonds are found. I love diving and want to talk about it all the time, I'm lucky I have a husband who happens to be my dive buddy ..he'll listen to me, bless him!

One way to help non-divers get more interested in to talk about the travel behind diving (example: I was just in Chuuk...or Belize, etc). People love to travel. I also have photos of cool stuff I see on dives in my purse. People enjoy looking at photos. I'd just keep talking about your passion and it just might rub off on your family and friends!

Time to get new friends. :D:D

okay, I know that is extreme, but trust me on this, it won't change. When hubby, daughter and I got certified back in 2000, we were instantly obsessed. We talked about it constantly at work, made everyone come over to our desks to look at pictures, etc. and drove people crazy. Pretty soon we realized that our old friends just weren't interested in our new adventures so we started making friends through our LDS. We even started hanging out at the LDS for hours every weekend to just talk to other divers! My husband soon decided he wanted to continue his education with PADI and daughter and I took some classes, too. Soon hubby was a DM working for the shop and we now had a whole new circle of friends and were able to go to the local dive spot with the LDS and dive with the group. (BTW, hubby is now an instructor and loving it.)

Now we have very few friends who are NOT "scuba addicts". Diving is still a huge part of our lives and our non-diving friends and family still don't get it.

We care JoyfulLee. To overcome the diving obsession, I personally started into underwater photography and that did not help. If you imagine the obsession for divng as a fire.....well adding photography into the mix is like pouring aviation fuel onto the fire. WHOOPS!!!!! But even for an amateur, I love some of the shots I have taken and love looking back at them all to relive the dives. Welcome to the obsession club. Don't forget to learn the secret handshake.

We care JoyfulLee. To overcome the diving obsession, I personally started into underwater photography and that did not help. If you imagine the obsession for divng as a fire.....well adding photography into the mix is like pouring aviation fuel onto the fire. WHOOPS!!!!! But even for an amateur, I love some of the shots I have taken and love looking back at them all to relive the dives. Welcome to the obsession club. Don't forget to learn the secret handshake.

Is this secret handshake you speak of agency specific:D

Back
Top Bottom