In-house Marine Biologist At Lembeh Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dimpy, thanks for the offer of support. I expect you will get lots of questions. We have just got back from Lembeh's nudi-heaven. Apologies for the poor quality of this photo, but what kind of nudi is this?
upload_2016-4-1_15-50-45.png

Hi Dimpy, thanks for the offer of support. I expect you will get lots of questions. We have just got back from Lembeh's nudi-heaven. Apologies for the poor quality of this photo, but what kind of nudi is this?
View attachment 370846

Looks like a Glossodoris cincta..

Hi Dimpy! Last month, I was in your area. Of course, there were a wonderful selection of nudis around. One that I ran across, ever so much smaller in length even that my pinkie fingernail caught my attention. I have a magnifier similar to a jewelers' loop. Of course, I've got to get the magnifier incredibly close for it to be in focus for something this small. I'd almost be getting a look and the nudi seemed to be retracting its crown. This happened over and over again until I gave up. :)

I'd not seen this behavior on the bigger nudis, no matter how they were approached.

Are you able to explain this to me. Of course, I'm assuming it's some sort of defense mechanism but . . . inasmuch as, the largers weren't doing the same . . .??

View attachment 370846
View attachment 370846
Yes, Pelan-Pelan, you are right, it's Glossodoris cincta - Photo Image Glossodoris cincta Glossodoris cincta

Hi Dimpy! Last month, I was in your area. Of course, there were a wonderful selection of nudis around. One that I ran across, ever so much smaller in length even that my pinkie fingernail caught my attention. I have a magnifier similar to a jewelers' loop. Of course, I've got to get the magnifier incredibly close for it to be in focus for something this small. I'd almost be getting a look and the nudi seemed to be retracting its crown. This happened over and over again until I gave up. :)

I'd not seen this behavior on the bigger nudis, no matter how they were approached.

Are you able to explain this to me. Of course, I'm assuming it's some sort of defense mechanism but . . . inasmuch as, the largers weren't doing the same . . .??

Hi Chillyin,
So nice to hear from you.
Regarding your question about the nudibranch's rhinophores (crown) it can get retracting when they feel distracted.
Because the rhinopore is use as their sensor to smell food and I think also if they feel danger.
Hope this information help you :)

Regards,
Dimpy

1. Thanks so much Dimpyy! Have you been over to see the Thread "Nudi Lovers "? Some truly beautiful photographic captures to be found there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom