In Search of a small Titanium BC Knife- anybody know of any?

Discussion in 'Knives and Cutting Tools' started by shoupart, Sep 7, 2003.

1. shoupart

shoupart Single Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hello,
    I've been looking for a small BC titanium knife- I have a large titanium knife for my leg, but I think smaller is better and would really like to find a good BC knife that was as durable and easy to maintain as my current knife.
    Does anybody know of any knives like this?

2. Akula

Akula Guest

Ocean Master makes a small folding lock blade knife in titanium.

3. Xman

Xman Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Apollo make a couple of nice titanium BC knives. I have one, and am very happy with it.

4. toomuchair

toomuchair Angel Fish

Aquatec T-rex. titanium or stainless. BC mount or leg/arm straps..Very nice and light and alittle expensive..Check it out on thediveoutfitters.ca

5. Babelfish

Babelfish Nassau Grouper

6. Axeman

Axeman Barracuda

The ocean master folding one is nice and compact and is so sharp you can shave with it right out of the box !

7. Babelfish

Babelfish Nassau Grouper

Are folding knives easy to use underwater? I haven't used one because I always thought it would be difficult with gloves on.

:arrow:

8. PhilD

PhilD Nassau Grouper

I have a T-Rex, and it is a great little knife and very easy to handle and use.

9. ReeseTD

ReeseTD Angel Fish

Wenoka makes a nice dive knife it not your normal scuba gear name but i realy like it alot its call the Little Squeeze. I like the why it locks down and can still get at it with my heavy gloves on. To unlock the knight both sides of the handle have to be squeezed to get it to unlock. So to take it out you just grip that handle and your ready to rock and role. No flips or buttens.
    If you all have the time to look it up let me know what you think of it. Personly i like it and will not be changing to another knife unless i lose it or some major faults are found

10. T_Mancini

T_Mancini Guest

I have a question about the titanium. I know it is good to protect from the rust but how durable are they. I was going to buy the Ocean Master Titanium Knife and the shop owner told me to reconsider so here I am asking for everyones opinion. He said that each time I dive the knife gets weaker and weaker especially at greater depths...

Is this true and if so what knife is good against rust and tough enough to last for a long time???

Tim

11. PhilD

PhilD Nassau Grouper

Tim, I've never heard that titanium will become weaker with depth. Although I'm no expert, I'd be tempted to ask the shop owner what he's been smoking?

Titanium is more flexible than steel and more stable at extreme temperatures. I find it hard to believe that a material used in aircraft and spacecraft construction becomes weak under a few ATA.

As a comparison, most stainless dive knives seem to be made of 420, which is very soft and doesn't hold an edge well, but as a low carbon content of <0.5%, so is relatively resistant to rust. Something like 440A may be better, or even ATS34 if you want better edge characteristics, although you would have to look after them more. I've used ATS34 knives quite a lot in and around salt water and never had any problems with them, as long as they are looked after and ATS34 is a great blade material, BG42 is my favorite, but I digress.

Titanium offers excellent corrosion resistance, low hardness (Ti-Beta is 47RC, Ti - 6Al-4V is 34RC), good wear resistance, but is more difficult to sharpen.

In my view, a good titanium knife, made of Ti-Beta not the more common and softer Ti-6AL-4V (which is 90% titanium, 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium), is a far better alternative to stainless dive knife. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that think stainless is better.

Another every day benefit of titanium is that it is non magnetic and great to pry at magnetic detonated mines ;)

12. WALSHMAR

WALSHMAR Garibaldi

Yes the Aquatec T-Rex either the Titanium or stainless
    model i have just purchased the Titanium Model impressed with the look and the job it does so well.
    Also the smallest knife i have seen and the sharpest.

13. pipedope

pipedope Great White

Ti does have some interesting qualities if you get into high temperatures. Read up on what they learned and how they handle things on the SR-71 Blackbird. If you contaminate Ti with chlorine and get it HOT it gets very weak.
    Not a problem for dive knives.

I have a Wenoka Ti knife in tanto pattern and EZLock sheath.
    It is a very nice knife, lightweight and durable.

Of course, there is always the stainless DIY knife option using a steak knife cut down with DIY nylon web sheath. There are instructions on how to make on in the DIY section and maybe in the DIR section. I know at least one set of instructions to DIY was by Uncle Pug.

14. Jeblis

Jeblis Nassau Grouper

Blue Reef 3" Titanium Knife, Point, non-folding (do a google search it's pretty common)

I have this one and it's nice and compact. I don't need to worry about drying it off after dives...although it does come a little dull so you may want to purchase a sharpening kit (make sure it's for titanium knives).

15. Hoosier

Hoosier Orca

[font=&#48148;&#53461;]Oh~~Gee![/font] [font=&#48148;&#53461;] [/font]
    [font=&#48148;&#53461;][/font]
    [font=&#48148;&#53461;]It is a really artistic knife, but darn pricey, $90 plus shipping.[/font]
    [font=&#48148;&#53461;] [/font]

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=AQUKTRT&ItemIndex=1&CategoryID=968&Context=965&Filter=1%3d206

16. M_B

M_B Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
  17. skeet

skeet Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have the DEEP SEA bc knife its made by Wenoka, have about 40 dives with it in fresh and salt water, no problems so far. It is the squeeze lock tanto version.

18. Hoosier

Hoosier Orca

19. M_B

M_B Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199