In Search of a small Titanium BC Knife- anybody know of any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim, I've never heard that titanium will become weaker with depth. Although I'm no expert, I'd be tempted to ask the shop owner what he's been smoking?

Titanium is more flexible than steel and more stable at extreme temperatures. I find it hard to believe that a material used in aircraft and spacecraft construction becomes weak under a few ATA.

As a comparison, most stainless dive knives seem to be made of 420, which is very soft and doesn't hold an edge well, but as a low carbon content of <0.5%, so is relatively resistant to rust. Something like 440A may be better, or even ATS34 if you want better edge characteristics, although you would have to look after them more. I've used ATS34 knives quite a lot in and around salt water and never had any problems with them, as long as they are looked after and ATS34 is a great blade material, BG42 is my favorite, but I digress.

Titanium offers excellent corrosion resistance, low hardness (Ti-Beta is 47RC, Ti - 6Al-4V is 34RC), good wear resistance, but is more difficult to sharpen.

In my view, a good titanium knife, made of Ti-Beta not the more common and softer Ti-6AL-4V (which is 90% titanium, 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium), is a far better alternative to stainless dive knife. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that think stainless is better.

Another every day benefit of titanium is that it is non magnetic and great to pry at magnetic detonated mines :wink:

shoupart:
Hello,
I've been looking for a small BC titanium knife- I have a large titanium knife for my leg, but I think smaller is better and would really like to find a good BC knife that was as durable and easy to maintain as my current knife.
Does anybody know of any knives like this?

Yes the Aquatec T-Rex either the Titanium or stainless
model i have just purchased the Titanium Model impressed with the look and the job it does so well.
Also the smallest knife i have seen and the sharpest.

Ti does have some interesting qualities if you get into high temperatures. Read up on what they learned and how they handle things on the SR-71 Blackbird. If you contaminate Ti with chlorine and get it HOT it gets very weak.
Not a problem for dive knives.

I have a Wenoka Ti knife in tanto pattern and EZLock sheath.
It is a very nice knife, lightweight and durable.

Of course, there is always the stainless DIY knife option using a steak knife cut down with DIY nylon web sheath. There are instructions on how to make on in the DIY section and maybe in the DIR section. I know at least one set of instructions to DIY was by Uncle Pug.

Blue Reef 3" Titanium Knife, Point, non-folding (do a google search it's pretty common)

I have this one and it's nice and compact. I don't need to worry about drying it off after dives...although it does come a little dull so you may want to purchase a sharpening kit (make sure it's for titanium knives).

[font=&#48148;&#53461;]Oh~~Gee![/font] [font=&#48148;&#53461;] [/font]
[font=&#48148;&#53461;][/font]
[font=&#48148;&#53461;]It is a really artistic knife, but darn pricey, $90 plus shipping.[/font]
[font=&#48148;&#53461;] [/font]

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=AQUKTRT&ItemIndex=1&CategoryID=968&Context=965&Filter=1%3d206

toomuchair:
Aquatec T-rex. titanium or stainless. BC mount or leg/arm straps..Very nice and light and alittle expensive..Check it out on thediveoutfitters.ca

I have the DEEP SEA bc knife its made by Wenoka, have about 40 dives with it in fresh and salt water, no problems so far. It is the squeeze lock tanto version.

Back
Top Bottom