India Diving - Picking Up Microbes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lestyr3

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm a self-confessed noob who just got his open water certification in the last month (I'm based out of Minneapolis in the US). I'm planning on taking my first dive while in India for a wedding next month, and will be diving out of Pondicherry.

On hearing that I was diving in India, many of my family were concerned that I while diving I would be diving in polluted waters, or putting myself in a situation where I'd be picking up microbes. They thought I'd basically be giving myself Delhi Belly by diving. I understand that some of their concern is the old ideas about "If it's India, don't drink the water," and I told them that I was planning on diving in salt water and expect to be far out to sea.

My gut level reaction (bad pun, sorry) is that given I am diving offshore in a boat in salt water I'm probably in the clear. However, I want to know if there's any truth to their concern, and was wondering if someone could chime in with general guidance regarding whether diving exposes you much to potentially harmful intestinal diseases.

Anyone who has any specific experience or any thoughts regarding the Indian subcontinent would be particularly appreciated. Thanks for any and all help
Kyle

I've only been diving in India once (in the Andamans), but I've lived here for 5 years. As you imply, the kids of microbes that give you "delhi belly" typically live in freshwater (e.g. the water people use to wash fruits and veggies), not salt water. I don't hear of people getting sick from salt water - even salt water close to the shore (e.g. swimming on the beach). So I think you'll be fine, in that regard.

Totally agree with SharkEsq. I grew up in India and have also dived there recently - I would say you're no more at risk diving in the ocean there than you are anywhere else in the world.

If you are diving open water / tropical reefs, you should have no troubles, as stated above. However, having worked as a harbor diver in my youth, I can attest to the theory that diving in polluted waters, either fresh or salt, can result in infections of the ear, gut and lung. I don't know how polluted the waters around Pondicherry are (perhaps you should research prior to booking) but it there are elevated levels of microbes you may risk infection through contact with them. Stay out of harbors, swamps, and areas without good water flow and you should not have to worry.

A while back my wife was in Hawaii and the beaches were closed because sewage had overflowed after it rained and poured into storm drains leading to the ocean. My point is even in Hawaii, you can get exposed to fecal bacteria in areas near the shore. I would think as long as you are out in the ocean away from land, you should be OK.

We travelled around Nothern India a few years ago and never once became sick. We went easy on alcohol, only eat veg Indian food and were fine....I would see no extra problem compared with anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom