Indo-Pacific - Where Have You Been & What Was Your Favorite Destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarnBrat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,
My husband’s 40th is next January and we are looking for a bucket list worthy trip. We have been to quite a few destinations in the Caribbean, and for this trip we want to make the plunge and head to the Indo-Pacific. I keep hearing Raja Ampat is absolutely amazing, but there are so many other options! So, I have come here to pose the following questions: 1) Where in the Indo-Pacific have you been diving? 2) Diving wise, which was your favorite destination and why did you prefer it over the others?

I’ve done some searching on the forum and haven’t been able to find a similar thread, I think this info will be useful to myself and others trying to choose a destination in this region. Also, just as an FYI... our priorities are pristine colorful reefs with lots of fish, big schools, and possibility to see pelagics.

Many thanks in advance!

In Indonesia I've dived Lembeh (twice), Raja Ampat (twice), Komodo (four times) and Tulamben (north Bali - once)

RA and Komodo will both hit the spot for pristine corals, fish schools and pelagics. I think RA would pip the post with that criteria but my personal preference is Komodo as I like the variety with the small critters.

other Indo -Pacific choices for your criteria to think about:-
Banda Sea, Indonesia - you would need a liveaboard trip as its out of the way diving and lots of travel
Tubbataha, Philippines but its only open Feb-June

Been to Komodo and Bali in one long trip. Amazing both above and below water. Pretty ripping currents in Komodo but guides were great.

Been to these: GBR, Fiji (Taveuni), Lembeh, Raja Ampat to Flores, Puerto Galera, Dumaguete, Truk, Kosrae, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands.

If a liveaboard is acceptable, my top pick would be the Solomon Islands. Pristine corals, wide variety of dive types, amazing variety and quantity of fish life. Bilikiki, while not the prettiest or most modern platform, is among the top LOBs I've been on - excellent crew, good and plentiful food, and great interaction with locals. https://wetlens.smugmug.com/Underwater/Solomon-Islands-Oct-2014/

In the Indo Pacific region, I've done Lembeh 3x, Bunaken, Bali 2x, Palau, Philippines 3x, Komodo 2x, Thailand, Sipadan, Ambon, Banda Sea, Raja Ampat. Heading back to Komodo/Lembeh in January.

Raja Ampat was a very recent trip starting with a crossing trip thru the Banda Sea ending in Raja Ampat, then another liveaboard in Raja Ampat.
For me Raja Ampat tops the list, huge schools of fish in many species, amazing reefs with spectacular soft coral and huge seafans, mantas both Oceanic and Reef, and some sharks. Komodo comes a close second for me as it also has great fish life, amazing reefs, mantas and sharks. I also enjoy muck/macro diving and find Komodo has more muck than Raja Ampat and better macro than Raja Ampat, but for fish life Raja has Komodo beat hands down. After my first dive in Raja Ampat I surfaced with that feeling that I've just found heaven and want to have my ashes scattered there.

Last edited:
Febrina in New Guinea

I have dived in Phuket and surrounds, Maldives, Borocay/Coron/|Apo reef in the Philippines, Sipadan, Bali, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Wakatobi, Fiji and Truk Lagoon (although the last 2 destinations are really entirely Pacific). Komodo IMO was the best of the lot, in fact my best dive trip ever. But January is not the best time of the year to go there.

I've also dived in the Maldives (live aboard, Scuba Spa; wonderful very large yacht!); Fiji (4 different locations) and on my way in February to Palau. Where is Komodo IMO (?) Can you provide suggestions about Thailand as we'll be going there after our live aboard (The Siren) in Palau. Trying to figure out whether to stay on West side (Andaman Sea) or in the gulf region (eg. Koh Tao) though I read a lot of negative reviews about over-crowding. Thanks for any suggestions ...

---------- Post added December 28th, 2015 at 04:24 PM ----------

Hello BarnBrat ... I've dived the Red Sea/Egypt (definitely do not recommend as it is insanely overcrowded and we witnessed numerous safety lapses, disregard for the ocean's ecosystem, and dive boats that could easily have left a few divers behind); also the Maldives aboard the Scuba Spa (absolutely wonderful, though you will see a similar disregard by locals for garbage, plastic bottles, etc. dumped into their waters); various locations in Mexico (unremarkable); Belize (one time was definitely enough); numerous islands in the Caribbean (my favorite is Anse Chastanet, directly on a National Geographic Underwater Reserve); Hawaii (a little closer for us since we are one province off the West Coast of Canada, though waters are not as warm and corals are being bleached out ... however the Manta night dive on Kona is unsurpassable); Tahiti (currently suffering from devastation by Crown of Thorns and also extremely expensive); Fiji (4 different trips to Vatulele, Namale Resort in Viti Levu (best dive boat on the islands; wonderful all inclusive resort, food, wines), and Taveuni (highly recommend; currents make this the most beautiful soft coral area I've ever experienced on wall dives) ... the latter would be my favorite. For genuinely friendly, happy people, healthy food and competent dive masters, I don't think you can beat Taveuni and Fiji in general. Easy to get to from LAX on Fijian Air, a great airline.

Wish I could help you re: Indonesia and Micronesia: going to Palau next month and then possibly on to Thailand, so I am in the process of searching for less crowded dive sites there.

I've also dived in the Maldives (live aboard, Scuba Spa; wonderful very large yacht!); Fiji (4 different locations) and on my way in February to Palau. Where is Komodo IMO (?) Can you provide suggestions about Thailand as we'll be going there after our live aboard (The Siren) in Palau. Trying to figure out whether to stay on West side (Andaman Sea) or in the gulf region (eg. Koh Tao) though I read a lot of negative reviews about over-crowding. Thanks for any suggestions ...
Komodo is in Indonesia.
Andaman Sea and the Gulf region in Thailand have different diving season. Nov to Apr is the time for the Andaman Sea. While June to Oct is more suitable for the Gulf region.

In the Indo Pacific region, I've done Lembeh 3x, Bunaken, Bali 2x, Palau, Philippines 3x, Komodo 2x, Thailand, Sipadan, Ambon, Banda Sea, Raja Ampat. Heading back to Komodo/Lembeh in January.

After my first dive in Raja Ampat I surfaced with that feeling that I've just found heaven and want to have my ashes scattered there.

What was the dive site and in what island in RA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom