Indo vs. Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gassed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,
I have been to the Philippines and was blown away. I would love to return but it is a lot of travel so I want to check my options.How much better is Raja vs. Phi? Is it worth the extra travel and expense?
I am sure this has been covered but I am looking experience. Have any of you been to both and if so what are your thoughts?
For clarity, we dove Puerto Galera and Verde Island.
Mostly photo.
Looking at live aboard be it Phi or Indo.

Thanks.

Indo all the way!
I'm heading back to Komodo for my 4th time in Nov. I've been to Indo 8x all together and the diving is great. So many places to choose from and Raja Amat is awesome diving, doing LOB there is a no brainer.
I'm also heading back to the PI in Jan for the 4th time. This time it will be Romblon for rare nudis and then Sogod for whales harks hopefully.

Hi,
How much better is Raja vs. Phi? Is it worth the extra travel and expense?
I am sure this has been covered but I am looking experience. Have any of you been to both and if so what are your thoughts?
For clarity, we dove Puerto Galera and Verde Island.
Mostly photo.
Looking at live aboard be it Phi or Indo.
Much much better and I don't even take PG as the best in the Phils.. Worth? Up to you : how much is worth the best?
Raja Ampat is better than the Phils, Komodo is better than the Phils, Alor is better than the Phils, North Sulawesi (Bangka and Lembeh) is better than the Phils, Ambon and Banda sea is on average better than the Phils, even Bali is better than most of the Phils, much better than PG anyway.

There are only a few places in the Phils that I would compare to Indonesia (my credits : near to 20 trips in Indo, 7 trips in the Phils) : Anilao for macro stuff, Tubbataha for bigger stuff, sometimes Balicasag and Pescador on a very good day. The rest is enjoyable though not in the Indo range, in my book.

Raja Ampat is not overcrowded - yet - likely hood of getting kicked in the head by someone on their OW checkout dives at Monkey Point PG > Mayhem Reef Raja Ampat...

No contest. I think Luko nailed it...nice enough in PI but the extra $$$ give you extra bang for your buck.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Indo all the way!
I'm heading back to Komodo for my 4th time in Nov. I've been to Indo 8x all together and the diving is great. So many places to choose from and Raja Amat is awesome diving, doing LOB there is a no brainer.
I'm also heading back to the PI in Jan for the 4th time. This time it will be Romblon for rare nudis and then Sogod for whales harks hopefully.

You will go half way around the world for whaleshark? Just go to Isla Mujeres, Mexico next summer, you'll see tons of whalesharks. Check out the pictures above. They are each about the size of the boats (the white sticks on the pictures). You can swim with them for 3 hours for $125/person in 45 min boat ride from the harbor.

If you want to scuba dive with whaleshark, then go to Cendrawasih Bay, Papua, Indonesia. Cendrawasih Bay is on the east side of the bird head peninsula, while Raja Ampat is on the west side of the peninsula. You fly for another 30 minutes flight from Sorong to Manukwari. Check out the video, below:

Last edited:
As above. Indonesia over Philippines. Raja, Komodo are both better and Lembeh is as good or better than Anilo. Did a liveaboard in the Philippines Coron to Anilo and while a great trip and better than a lot of other places in the world to dive, was not in the same league as Raja or Komodo. If/when I return to Philippines would not do a liveaboard. Really the only place that needs a liveaboard to see is Tubbataha as I understand it. Apo Reef, which also needs a liveaboard to get to was a disappointment. Very ordinary. The least interesting site on Komodo or Raja was better.

Worth the extra time and money to go to Indonesia? For me yes.

I love the passion people have for Indo on this thread! it really depends on what you want to get out of it. If you looking to tick things off a bucket list then go wherever that interaction is most likely i.e Bali for Mola. If your after wrecks then head to the Philippines, for bio diversity then Raja, big currents Komodo, macro Lembeh. Too much choice for one trip!

Both are wonderful destinations, but Indonesia is definitely better , considered by many to be the best dive destination in the world.

Thank you all for the qualified responses. It sounds like a Raja liveaboard followed by a few days in Lembeh at a land based would tick a few boxes. Would we be missing out on anything outside of Dragons with that plan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom