Indonesia feb and March ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ternate and Halmahera are great. I personally found diving a little better at Ternate although we didn't get much time in. My trip was largely exploratory and other than having the dive of my life at one particular spot there's a fair bit to sea. A little less colour and wow factor than your classic Northern RA sites but both places very interesting on land.

As a geographer following in Wallaces footsteps and checking out Tidore as well was for me extremely satisfying. I was crewing on a replica ship from the spice trade when I went there so climbing along the walls of Fort Orange seeing where my ship left from and later met her end was almost emotional.

The fact that the fort is now landlocked and my ships ghost is under an electronics and false teeth shop was ...bittersweet...and hilarious.

I just got back from a combo trip - Bangka Island (Nomad Divers) and Halmahera liveaboard (MY Liburan Paradise). I'd recommend both. I also recommend the land trip to Tangkoko nature reserve - getting really popular, but a fun trip nonetheless - to see tarsiers, hornbills and macaques.

Thanks for the help!

Wingy- where did you stay in teranate and halmahera?

Nomad at Bangka is on my list but thought I heard somewhere that feb and March were iffy? But sincr I have plenty of time maybe a few rainy days not a big deal.

I stayed at Villa Marasai for a few days before our LOB Tambora picked us up from Ternate.

I just got back from a combo trip - Bangka Island (Nomad Divers) and Halmahera liveaboard (MY Liburan Paradise). I'd recommend both. I also recommend the land trip to Tangkoko nature reserve - getting really popular, but a fun trip nonetheless - to see tarsiers, hornbills and macaques.

Ditto..Bangka has long been one of my favourite islands (way before it got pulled into mainstream by the marketing train) - for Tarsiers I would recommend having a little different look by staying overnight at one of the homestays in TNP. There is a lovely lady who is both a guide and runs a small homestay named Rennie who knows these lil guys very well. By avoiding bigger tour group times (Last I was there the road had washed out so tour busses were not able to access the Park and it was awesome!) you get more time with the Yaki's (Crested Macaques - much cooler dudes than your standard pig tailed macaques) and may even get lucky enough to see them surfing in Lembeh strait - yep, surfing monkeys with mohawks.

Along with the animals divenski has mentioned - keep an eye out above for the elusive cuscus.

Wingy- do you remember the name of the homestay?

Contact Renny Linggar Tangkoko if you have FB if not PM me and I will grab her skype and contact details for you - lovely woman and truly a local experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom