Indonesia Trip Dilemma: Raja Ampat vs. Komodo / Alor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, for anyone who has flown from Bali > Kupang > Alor / back, what should I expect for airfares? Thanks!

I can't comment on a price (don't remember them as long as they are "reasonable") but please keep in mind that you might have to stay one night in Kupang on either or even both ways.

As well I always recommend that you don't plan your arrival back on Bali on the day of your international flight. Of course this has nothing to do with Alor or Kupang. Flights in Indonesia, especially when travelling away from the "normal" (tourist) destinations like Bali, Lombok, Java, might get delayed, changed or even cancelled on short notice.
Therefore enjoy one or better two nights on Bali before flying home.

Have fun on Alor, I envy you for that ;-)

Andy

Thanks a bunch. I'm looking into flights now. The plan is to spend the evening in Kupang on the way out (was recommended Crystal Hotel or something like that - anyone have experience staying in Kupang?) and we are getting from Alor to Denpasar in one day on the way back....spending 4 days in Bali before hearding out to Raja Ampat. It's kind of a weird, geographically-speaking, trip, but we don't have close connecting flights and not out of the country until after RA.

Andy, I'm really excited about Alor...there isn't too much info on the net about it...exactly why I want to go! Still getting in touch with Thomas right now. Where are the must dive sites in Alor? Kal's Dream, of course...any more recommendations or is it all good?

Thanks!

-J

I've did RA and Komodo within a year and while experience can easily vary due to weather, etc, I felt the short answer is both are very comparable with RA edging out a little. I say it edged out only because we had a few more dives with amazing amount of fishlife in RA, and even more "isolated" feeling. THat said, if you have been to RA, I'd either do another part of RA or go to Komodo. I've seen a few good trip reports on Alor and it has some great diving too.

Don't get me wrong, because we did have some amazing dives, complemented by weather, in Komodo. Best night dive with all the critters in the book, Cannibal Rock dive #1 was literally top dive, current dive through Shotgun was amazing with a wall of fish 60 feet high; but then the silversides, etc in RA were absolutely amazing. Had to be millions of them and swirling in all directions, with mobular rays coming through.

Thanks Shasta, I appreciate your thoughts. The only issue with this trip is that I'm going with my mother and she's never done a liveaboard and is a bit apprehensive about it. We're doing a "shorter" one (5 days) after staying at Sorido for a week so she'll get her sea legs on that, I'm sure. I have a feeling that it's not going to be a problem whatsoever and she'll wonder why she was ever nervous about them in the first place. We could do a shorter LA in Komodo but that is going to be a more expensive, even on the more reasonably priced ones (Grand Komodo Tours). I actually have a contact (LDS has a guy from Indo) with Grand Komodo for future trips now.

Alor just seems like absolutely phenomenal land-based diving that is well off the beaten path. I am as intrigued by it as I was about RA when I first heard about it (no knock on Komodo...it's on the list, of course!). I'd really rather not dive with large groups and both Alor and RA really do allow for that. At Sorido it was never more than 4 of us in a group - a lot of the time it was just 2 divers - 2 guides. I had to tell the guides to stop showing me things (kidding); there was too much too see and not enough divers to show it to! Because this trip is going to be in the northern part of RA again, next time in Eastern Indo, we'll plan on the Ambon > Sorong LA trip. Does anyone else feel that there are simply just too many amazing places to dive in Indonesia? It's too hard to make up your mind here! I guess I just need to move to this part of the world...

Hi NotYetBent,

actually I never stayed at Crystal Hotel in Kupang but always regretted myself afterwards for not staying there. Everyone I spoke to and who stayed there was satisfied with it and didn't regret it. Especially when they knew other hotels on Kupang...
Therefore: Stay there.
Don't expect too much from Kupang, there is not that much to see, so take a book with you.

All dive-sites on Alor are between good and fantastic ;-)

Just talk to Thomas about what you want to see and, very important, about your dive experience (remember, there are sometimes strong currents). He knows the area very well and can choose the sites that most likely will be most suitable and enjoyable for you.

Have fun,

Andy

Great, thanks a bunch, Andy - will book that hotel. Both of us are competent in currents (crash course in RA last summer went great - one small low-on-air situation - but good experience that won't happen again). Are reef hooks encouraged there?

Guess I owe SB a trip report after this one! I've been working on my website (will put up here when it's done)...have some cool stuff in mind for geographical/visual trip reports that I think will be useful.

Hi,

to answer your question about reef hooks: I never saw or used them and I doubt that Thomas owns one himself. Best thing to enjoy the dive is to "fly" with the current anyway ;-)

Have fun,

Andy

Just in case you have not yet made your mind up and you are wanting a liveaboard to suit your needs and those of your mother.... have you considered the Arenui? She is quite simply stunning, luxurious, has the best cabins, the best staff, the best food, the best dive guides and a great first liveaboard for your mother.

Check it out at facesofthesea . com

If you'd like some help contact us at: arenui (at) facesofthesea . com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom