1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Inflator valve sticking

Discussion in 'Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems' started by Jim Mitchem, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jim Mitchem

Jim Mitchem Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I have an Oceanic Islander, a few years old. This past weekend I noticed that I kept having to release air from it to remain neutral and that I used more air then normal. I think the inflator valve might be sticking a little and allow air by.

Is there anything I can do to it to maybe fix it myself?

2. 3D diver

3D diver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Subscribed.

My BC was stored for a few years & the inflator valve is sticking a bit too. I can hear it & feel the button sticking & just pull the button out when it sticks. I've been running extra fresh water through it trying to clean it out, hoping it's just salt, with no luck so far.

I'll spring for a BP&W if it doesn't straghten itself out soon, but am interested in any practical fixes too.

3. g1138

g1138 Marine Scientist

If it is leaking you should be able to hear it, especially underwater.

Try filling your BC with water through the inflator hose (use only the deflate button). Fill it half to a quarter way (no need to be precise) and then top it off with air. Swish the water around and then empty it through the inflator hose (holding your BC upside down, depress the deflate button). If there's any salt deposits it should dissolve out. If you have no corrosion then this should fix the problem. Otherwise you can buy a new inflator assembly and reconnect with zip ties. That or take it in for service. Cost of repair of an inflator assembly is usually near equal to replacing one if you're looking at buying generic.

Bigd2722 likes this.
  4. Scott L

Scott L Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Yeah, just replace it.

5. Namreg 58

Namreg 58 Nassau Grouper

Most inflators use what is known as a Shrader valve (car tire valve). Simply replace it and you are good to go.

6. CT Sean

CT Sean Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    You can get the service manual for it here: http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/oceanic/bcd/ (it's the one with reliant in the title)

Doesn't really tell you how to service it - it looks like its a "it works or it's replaced" type of deal from a dealer perspective. It does have a blow-up diagram though - if your handy you can disassemble it a bit and see if anything looks funky

7. jonnythan

jonnythan Knight Scublar ScubaBoard Supporter

Most inflators are basically non-serviceable.

Replace it.

8. awap

awap Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    actually there are fairly thorough instructions in [​IMG]12-2801-r01Alliance.pdf1360 KBytes if that is your inflator. It does not appear to use a schradder valve or any special seat - just o-rings so it should be doable.

That is the kind of part I like to keep a spare on hand in case of any problems so maybe you should replace it and repair the old one.

Bigd2722 likes this.
  9. NCadiver

NCadiver Dive Shop

You need to soak it in water and vinegar and press the buttons while you are soaking it. The vinegar help break up the salt.

Several years ago oceanic stop selling the individual part to service the inflator. The service kit now is the entire inflator with is more cost effective and faster to service.

10. awap

awap Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    I have no doubt that is true for the operation providing professional service at going prices; but for the DIYer, that is just not the way we think about it. I made a pretty good hourly wage before I retired but I don't mind working for a couple hours on my own stuff rather than paying someone else to screw it up. And I hate to throw away something that I can repair and re-use.