Info on "Sirius Dive Center" in Providencia, Colombia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_row

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm planning to go with my girlfriend to Providencia in 2 weeks. I got sort-of commited with the sirius hotel and dive center. Any good, so-so, bad comments? I guess I could still change.
Thanks and happy bubbles.
Mike

I can't tell you anything about Sirius, but if they turn out to be not so good, go see Felipe at Felipe's dive center. Felipe will pick you up anywhere on the island, take you around, show you the best spots (Felipe has found and named most of the dive sites on Providencia) and installed the moorings on Provedencia and San Andres. Tell him Frank from the Spree sent you, and he will regale you with stories from when we took the Spree (a US based liveaboard) on a Colombian adventure.

Frank

I have used Felipe Diving and Sonny’s I would recommend either.
Felipe is more popular and busy so they are lacking the personal service some of the time but has a wealth of knowledge about diving the seas and OPI. Felipe has been involved in most of the Old Providence's preservation efforts which also takes some of his time. I think his brother Picci has been helping out with the dive operation in resent years.

Sonny's is a family orientated business who parents also run the hotel and restaurant. Very professional and customer service orientated, you get the whole family catering to you.

I have not used Sirius but have heard only good about them also.

Ciao
Tad

Folks,

I took a trip to Old Providencia Island and for those of you who want great diving, nice local beers, a great beach and fresh fish with coconut rice all at great prices this is the place to go. If youÃÓe looking for nightlife and gourmet restaurants this is not the place to be. OPI reminds me of my first trip to the Caribbean back in the early 1980s.

I dove with SonnyÃÔ Dive shop and stayed at SonnyÃÔ Cabanas. SonnyÃÔ is a great dive shop. Best rental equipment IÃ×e ever seen. Everything I used was just about brand new. Only Albatross Charters in Cozumel comes close to them. Though in fairness to most of dive shops I pick most of the gear is very well maintained though it might not be the newest. I loved the adjustable reg that SonnyÃÔ uses, plus they had a new fat guy BCD. IÃÎ not a gear head so I donÃÕ remember the brands.

Trips to dive spots are short and in open 25ft or 32 ft boats with center consoles for the dive equipment. You will get wet esp. if the wind and tide are making a decent chop.

I went diving 7 days and the groups were always split. Experienced divers were dropped in one spot, newbies or groups were dropped in another. My group usually had at least one dive master on vacation in it. On all the dives we only saw another dive boat once. There are three shops on the island and within 15 minutes of walking from each other.

Dive masters are all great. Look in the dictionary for for a picture of a guy who loves life and Avelino's (sp?) picture is there.

For those of you in the northeast US reading this use Tad Miller (he posts here) to help with your connections b/c getting there took two days. I had to stay on San Andreas overnight. Tad set up everything the diving, rooms on SAI and OPI and the cabs. He also booked my flight from SAI to OPI. If Tad wasnÃÕ as knowledgeable as he is I never would have taken this trip.

The only thing I would change is not to have any meals included with my room fee at SonnyÃÔ. There are 7 restaurants within 5 minutes walking distance and several a short scooter or a cab ride away. If you go with family rent a golf cart to get you to the nearby beaches and restaurants.

The rooms are simple and very clean with AC and about a 1/5 the price of the Del Cameron affiliate rooms. Since I only sleep in my room the price was right. They also have a TV and a fridge. They are a 5 minute walk to the beach, probably 2.5 minutes for a 10 y.o. Once you get to the beach there are multiple beach bars, drinks are very cheap. I couldnÃÕ imagine why IÃÅ pay 200+$/night for a beach hotel room when I was paying 45$. IÃÅ rather stay the 5 days with the money i saved. Please note I did get a special rate as a single and b/c they were not fully booked. I think it is about 90$ for a couple. Yep there I was sitting outside the 250$ rooms and ruining their view! ÅÐh, look dear there is a short, fat, hairy guy sitting right outside our window isnÃÕ that exciting?

You also need to throw your watch away or figure out how to set it to island time. Only the dive shop seemed to use a watch and once you left that all bets are off. If you are an early riser looking to go for coffee good luck! SonnyÃÔ has is at the shop but I get up a ~7am and I couldnÃÕ find anyone serving. When IÃÎ working I get up a 5:45 am so 7 is sleeping in.

Most people should be able to get to the top of the peak and walk around Santa Catalina island. When you go to Manzillo (sp?) Bay I ate at the first place on the right The ladies who run it let me pick my fish from the ones that being cleaned as I got there. Cost for 1 large yellowtail, the best rice I had, salad (shredded carrots and ??), fried plantains and 4 Castinita (175 ml) (sp?) beers -> less than 10$US. I couldnÃÕ finish everything. A couple I met stopped there on my recommendation and when they received their meals they had put 2 snappers on each plate. The reason given, ÅÕhey were kinda small same price. They live outside of London so they were stunned.

Great place to go. I don't think you can go wrong since there is a wide range of prices for hotels.

I'll put a picture or two up.

cheers - markt

I dove with Felipe 2 years ago. Most afternoons he had his head in the weed bag, sadly.

On the plus side, his staff stayed straight.

did an awesome pinacle dive, the rest of the group strayed well below 90 foot max depth, resulting in one guy sucking thru his tank quite quickly. So the rest of the group had to head back when that bonehead's air ran out

dude; comments?

i'm going there in a week's time...

Hi there

I just returned from Isla de Providencia and I have to tell its paradise !!!
I dont understand why nobody knows this place, its been one of the best vacations ever. The island is pure paradise, the beaches empty, white sand, palm trees, beautiful crystal clear water and very friendly locals. I m sure I will have to go back.

I stayed at the Sirius Hotel and Dive Center. :D

Check out their website www.siriushotel.net

They have a really well done website that gives you all the information you need. They even descripe some 30 dive sites on their website.

I dove with Daniel. He s a great guy. He takes care of the boats and its really fun to dive with him. One after noon I was the only one that felt like going out diving and they got everything ready just for one diver. I thought that was very nice. They also showed me lots of interesting places on the island.

I can only recommend this hotel and dive center. I enjoyed the stay so moch that I will try to help to get them so more guests. The business exists over 20 years and two years ago the owner got sick, so now his son takes care of the business. He s doing a great job and I think in a couple of years this will be a fantastic diving spot.

So for everybody that didnt know Providencia Island, its a small island in the southern Caribbean. There is no mass tourism and the locals are very friendly people. They are fluent in English as well as Spanish. And something I didnt even know first is that in Providencia is the third largest coral reef after Belize and Australia.

so take care guys....

mac

Last edited:
saw this post and couldn't resist not commenting for future viewers. I dove here less than a year ago and it was really, really bad. better off going w/ Anda Di Wata.

Back
Top Bottom