Information about the Luxfer recall / exchange 6351 alloy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A family friend gave me his old tank when he found out I was certified. I'm having trouble figuring out the tank markings.
They are as follows:

DOT-SP6498-2475
Z12415 USD

About the only thing I can decipher from this is it's a US Divers (that and the fact it has a big US Divers sticker on it :D )

The oldest stamp on it (MFG Date I assume) is 3/72
My friend bought it new, used it for a few years and then gave up diving. It's been sitting in his back room for over 10 years.

So can someone tell me a bit about this tank? It looks to be in great shape. I'd like to know if it's been recalled or anything before take it in to be hydro'd and inspected. It's been out of hydro since 2/83.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

As far as I knew USD was only distributing steel tanks in '72, and the 2475 would make sense as a steel with a working pressure of 2250 + 10% is 2475.
But... the SP6498, as far as I can determine, is an Aluminum alloy!
Do you see a 3AL or a 3AA anywhere on the tank? Does it have a flat bottom, or a rounded bottom?
SP6498, by the way, is susceptable to sustained load cracking and requires a VIP+, and some shops won't fill 'em at all.
But that 2475 on it is wierd.
Rick

It's Aluminium (or so I was told) but no 3AL or 3AA anywhere. Flat bottom. J-Valve. It has air in it but I haven't put a gauge on it to see how much yet.

If it is taller than an aluminum 80 and a bit smaller diameter than an 80, then I believe it is what was called an aluminum 72. 2475psi was the working pressure with no overfilling. Just an educated guess. Also I believe 3AL was not required on aluminum tanks until the early to mid 80s. Not sure about the exact date.

Yep, it's an aluminum 72. I had one a few years ago that my buddy gave to me. I got rid of it because it was too tall and kept hitting me in the back of the head. I was still diving a jacket at that time though. I asked my LDS about it when I got it and the guy there told me it had some unusual bouyancy characteristics. I would say give Aqua Lung a call or fire off an email to them and get the specs on it.

BTW I gave the tank to a friend of a friend. Apparently it did not pass hydro and has been destroyed.

The markings translate as follows:

DOT-SP6498--Dept. of Transportation approved Special Permit Number 6498 received by Luxfer for 6351 Alloy Aluminum Cylinders.

2475 is the working pressure which means it was advertised as a 71.2 cu. ft cylinder, but held 71.55 cu. ft. at 2475.

Z12415 is the Serial Number.

USD is the distributor.

3/72 is the date of the original Hydrostatic Test. DOT required that Hydro Retesters overstamp ALL SP6498 cylinders with 3AL after July of 1982.

If you got the cylinder for FREE....check out this link!

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20021209.shtml

For the cost of shipping, Luxfer will take it back and give you $50 towards the cost of a new cylinder.

Good Luck!

C_C

Yup, that's my tank alright. Thank you to all for the info.

C_C, thanks for the translation and the link. Looks like I might be shipping it off to Luxfer.

Dave

BTW, the diving in Monterey was phenomenal today.

Not sure if something has been posted on this already...

My LDS just told me that after the 1st of year, they will no longer fill my old US Divers Aluminum Pro-80 (which I've had since '79). I knew that Luxfer had recall on old Luxfer Aluminum 80's but I didn't think my US Divers Alum pro-80 was made by Luxfer. Can someone confirm? DOT E6498-3000 (Date of manufacture is 5 '79)

I will probably buy a new Steel tank anyway but I just want to know if my LDS is trying to pull a fast one on me..

The tank has an exemption code (E6498-3000) you could search that through DOT and see if the manufacturer did not atempt to renew the exemption...

Either way you got your money out of them right?

I would be interested in hearing what you find out about them...

Jeff Lane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom