Information on Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blakec1980

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I am new to the tech side of things, I actually am not even a tech diver yet. I am doing my homework on getting into it as there are a few wrecks I would like to dive to start off. What I am looking for is some direction on gear, general idea of prices on training. Also what training I may need going into this endeavor.

I have been diving on the public safety and recreational side for almost 4 years. I have a hunger for more knowledge, and to see what more is out there in the diving world. I read a couple books about Mr. Chatterton's exploits and the U-Boat is of particular interest given my adoration of WW2 history. I have no interest in penetration of any kind, nor do I desire an artifact to take home (unless is just happened to fall in my lap :p) Moreover I would just like to witness with my own two eyes, take a picture or video and live in said moment.

That being said, the more research I do on the equipment I need, the more confused I'm getting. Now before I'm publicly shamed for not knowing what I'm talking about. I freely admit that I do not, and that is the reason I am posting here. I'm not looking for cookie cutter answers, just trying to get a baseline for where to start. I am taking my advanced nitrox and deco procedures either this year or next, and beyond those two classes I don't know what others I need to take. Do I need to take sidemount for sling bottles? I would prefer to use trimix while diving those depths but not sure if thats the best for it.

What size doubles would I need. I have several al80's I could strap together and go with, but from what I read those arent the best. Are 120's too much? I'm sure it boils down to SAC rate but I haven't had a chance to go and do the math on that one yet. Regulators... What is going to work that deep? I was looking at apeks but is there a better option? Drysuit and computer I already have figured out, I own a FFM with a gas switch block, but I'm not sure that will work (gas switch is only two port, not even sure if they make one with more ports than that.)
At this point I figure I am just going to go with a regular mask.

I have no intention of taking on this dive anytime in the near future, I am just trying to get myself sorted out and on the right track to get the training, and experience to make such a dive as safely as is possible given the amount of risk that comes with deep diving anyway. Any information on any of this would be helpful, and most appreciated.

That being said, the more research I do on the equipment I need, the more confused I'm getting.

Have a look at: Goal Setting For Technical Diving Training

I'm not looking for cookie cutter answers, just trying to get a baseline for where to start.

The baseline is effective fundamental skills; buoyancy, trim, propulsion, situational awareness, effective planning, ascent protocols...

Read: Prepare Yourself For Technical Diving

The next stage is to gain the skills, experience and knowledge necessary to dive at the depth necessary to reach the wrecks you want to visit. That's 'open water' technical diving. It's not wreck specific.

Lastly, once your equipment and protocol familiarity are impeccable, you can start considering entering into wrecks. Advanced/Technical wreck training. You need to be an accomplished technical diver, before you become a technical wreck diver.

I am taking my advanced nitrox and deco procedures either this year or next, and beyond those two classes I don't know what others I need to take.

AN/DP.... then either Extended Range or Normoxic Trimix level.Different agencies have varied names for courses at those levels. But basically... you're qualifying to dive to 55-65m using Air or NormoxicTrimix (oxygen content above 18%)

Those are prerequisites for most Advanced/Technical Wreck Courses. That provides access to great wrecks in most locations. If/when you need to visit wrecks deeper than ~65m, then it's time for a Full/Advanced Trimix course.

Do I need to take sidemount for sling bottles?

Sidemount is primarily an option for carrying primary cylinders. There's a plethora of threads here that list pros and cons of sidemount versus backmount for technical diving.

Carrying stage/deco bottles using traditional sling or sidemounted.... that's a decision that comes much later (after training).

I would prefer to use trimix while diving those depths but not sure if thats the best for it.

The decision on when to start using trimix is dictated by the level of narcosis you wish to be subjected to. Divers typically choose their maximum acceptable narcosis (Equivalent Narcotic Depth; which will be somewhere between 30m and 55m. There are a number of factors that influence this - personal susceptibility, water conditions, task loading on the dive, penetration or open water etc etc etc.

Read: Nitrogen Narcosis - Perceptions of Susceptibility

Trimix is never a bad thing - but it does raise the costs significantly. Helium is expensive, more so outside of the USA.

What size doubles would I need.... I'm sure it boils down to SAC rate but I haven't had a chance to go and do the math on that one yet.

Do that math long before you open your wallet.

Regulators... What is going to work that deep? I was looking at apeks but is there a better option?

Apeks or ScubaPro are, IMHO, the best options. Both brands offer high performance regs suitable for technical diving. Also, they both have a good network for service/maintenance/repair.

FWIW, I use ScubaPro Mk25/S600.

At this point I figure I am just going to go with a regular mask.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple _____) :)

Where do you live/dive? Depending on your area and exposure protection, my tank recommendation will vary. BTW - I dive WW2, WW1, and civil war wrecks all the time and although I was never really into history...the "history" behind some of these wrecks is amazing and I love reading about the wrecks themselves.

Hi Blakec: Devondiver has posted links containing lots of good information, definitely spend some time reading those. Just a couple of more comments. Indeed, decide what kinds of dives you think you'll want to do and do the math before opening your wallet on a set of doubles. A set of large, steel doubles is EXPENSIVE. A set of double 80s will serve you well for lots of dives, but you hinted at wanting to do some dives beyond 200'. In that case, the double 80s will likely be insufficient. But, for getting into tec diving, doubling up a couple of AL80s that you have now would be an economical way to start. For regs, most manufactures make high quality regs. The availability of a LDS that can service the regs should be an important consideration on the brand. You don't need to take a side-mount course for slinging bottles. Although side mount is an option, you'll cover slinging bottles in your regular tec courses.

Where do you live/dive? Depending on your area and exposure protection, my tank recommendation will vary. BTW - I dive WW2, WW1, and civil war wrecks all the time and although I was never really into history...the "history" behind some of these wrecks is amazing and I love reading about the wrecks themselves.

Eastern Oklahoma, Exposure protection varies, right now I dive a 3mm wetsuit. It can get pretty chilly below the thermocline but its tolerable for short times. I'm working on getting my hands on a dry suit currently. I used to dive a 5mm which was good till almost the end of November with a hood and gloves. As far as tanks go at this point, I think I am going to stick with the AL80's I have. I already have a manifold for them and bands, just gotta service the manifold and get the proper bolts for the bands. Figure I will just learn what I can with those for now, and when I start getting into deeper depths and decompression I should know more about what I need and purchase it at that time.

Where I live wreck diving is the normal diving. A typical day is a wreck and then a shallower scenic dive. If you are not planning on going inside a wreck and the vis is such that you will not end up inside it by accident then there is nothing special about a wreck. The planning of the dive will be about depth and gas requirements. If a wreck in in 30m you need an appropriate plan for 30 and that could be a single cylinder, if in 60m you need a serious plan and more equipment.

As with anything in diving, start shallow and work up, don't go from 20m blue water drifts on a reef to 60m green water wrecks overnight.

Where I live wreck diving is the normal diving. A typical day is a wreck and then a shallower scenic dive. If you are not planning on going inside a wreck and the vis is such that you will not end up inside it by accident then there is nothing special about a wreck. The planning of the dive will be about depth and gas requirements. If a wreck in in 30m you need an appropriate plan for 30 and that could be a single cylinder, if in 60m you need a serious plan and more equipment.

As with anything in diving, start shallow and work up, don't go from 20m blue water drifts on a reef to 60m green water wrecks overnight.

I have no intentions of shooting down to 60m overnight, I promise you that! as far as the green water goes, I am thoroughly used to that. The local lake or "dive spot" is really green and vis this year has only been about 3-5 feet. Sometimes if there hasn't been much boat traffic (rarely) when you break 40ft it opens up to about 10 ft but that;s about all you get. Looking to get some training in, and learn the necessary skills here, then when they are second nature, take it to the ocean and push training a little further. My intention is to make the dives I'm wanting to make in 3-4 years. Until then, its learn learn learn!

How deep are the wrecks you want to visit? My point is that if not deep then you may be able to dive them without a completely new approach.

How deep are the wrecks you want to visit? My point is that if not deep then you may be able to dive them without a completely new approach.

One is the Doria, the other is the U-869... Gotta train for those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom