Input on our Accident and Incidents Forum... What do you want? How do you want it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of an accident where few hard details are known:
"That diver died because they weren't wearing their snorkel. That's why I ALWAYS wear my snorkel just like we learned in Open Water."

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Ouch.

From Bob BDF in Post #21
3a. Possibly one strike your out for condolences and loved ones lashing out at the members, and their posts, in the thread.

We do get a lot of problems from people who just joined SB to gain access to the thread and often shout emotional, unhelpful statements at the general conversation. Maybe we could make accidents and incidents only accessible to those who have made a minimum number of posts or have been a member for some short period of time (like 1 week, 2 wks, a month)?

Last edited:
Maybe we could make accidents and incidents only accessible to those who have made a minimum number of postsor have been a member for some short period of time (like 1 week, 2 wks, a month)?
Meesa like.

Is it technically feasible?

On the other side of the coin, we have had more than a few occasions in which people have joined for the purpose of posting helpful information.

We do get a lot of problems from people who just joined SB to gain access to the thread and often shout emotional, unhelpful statements at the general conversation. Maybe we could make accidents and incidents only accessible to those who have made a minimum number of posts or have been a member for some short period of time (like 1 week, 2 wks, a month)?
I would not suggest blocking them from seeing the forum if you are only worried about them posting stuff.

On the other side of the coin, we have had more than a few occasions in which people have joined for the purpose of posting helpful information.

This is true too. Rats, I thought I had a a workable idea.

Maybe posting rights in the forum are for established members OR someone who got posting rights OKed by a mod?

If I may offer a suggestion, and only a suggestion...

ANYONE's first attempt at posting in any given A&I thread is met with a pop-up box containing a TOS on steroids. One either accepts or declines to continue or exit. At the poster's first indiscretion, a MOD is justified on flipping the switch on the poster, banning that person from the thread.

If I may offer a suggestion, and only a suggestion...

ANYONE's first attempt at posting in any given A&I thread is met with a pop-up box containing a TOS on steroids. One either accepts or declines to continue or exit. At the poster's first indiscretion, a MOD is justified on flipping the switch on the poster, banning that person from the thread.
Interesting. I like it, though a simplified reminder version would more likely get actually read. Further the grinding irritation of having to agree to the TOS for every time one posts in the forum could help filter quite a bit of chaff.

I agree that those with 1st hand knowledge are not likely to be able to post.
If you are very close to the incident, the police, other investigators or at least an insurance rep is likely to make it very clear that under no circumstances are you to discuss the matter.
This is not meant to sound critical of FinnMom but I want to correct a misconception I see repeated over and over and over again.

No matter what your involvement with an accident, NO ONE can prevent you from commenting on it. We have this wonderful thing called the First Amendment that prohibits them from censoring your speech. That being said . . .

If you have been directly involved as a diving professional in an accident, yes your insurance company and lawyer will tell you that they'd prefer you don't comment but they can't deny your coverage if you do. They're concerned that you will say something that will then be used against you in a lawsuit. At the same time, they will also tell you not to talk to the victim's family and instead refer all inquiries to them which - IMHO - makes it look like you're trying to hide something and invites the very lawsuit you're trying to avoid. And the police, USCG, or others may ask you to refrain from commenting but it's a request, not a legally enforceable order.

At a DEMA Risk Management seminar years ago, I asked the insurance guy giving the talk (Peter Meyer) if there ever was a case of a dive professional who had no liability in a case suddenly creating liability through an online post or comment and, after some hemming and hawing, he said "No."

Likewise, this notion that if you're not at all involved in an incident and you start commenting here or elsewhere about it that you'll suddenly be drawn into a lawsuit is also a work of fiction. I've never heard of it happening and if anyone has direct knowledge that it did, I'd be very interested in hearing the circumstances.

- Ken

...this notion that if you're not at all involved in an incident and you start commenting here or elsewhere about it that you'll suddenly be drawn into a lawsuit is also a work of fiction. I've never heard of it happening and if anyone has direct knowledge that it did, I'd be very interested in hearing the circumstances.

Say what? How about the lawsuit by "the one who shall not be named" against Scubaboard and 101 members, including specific members, for discussing an accident on SB and hurting her business?

Back
Top Bottom