Insel Air baggage questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MD 83 is bigger. Inside of one:

0263114.jpg

I fly the Curacao- Bonaire route at least once a week with Insel. The MD-8x does have overhead bins, as is shown in the picture in this thread. The Embraer does not, but that is not a problem. You just take your carry-on with you and at the bottom of the airplane stairs, you hand it to the lugguage guys. They then put it in the cargo part, which is very small, they cannot throw the lugguage around or it will go through the walls :) . They are normally quite careful with the bags, since a lot of business guys with laptops fly this route daily, so they know to handle carry-ons with care. If you are worried, just tell them to handle it with care and they will.

Once the plane has landed, just disembark and wait for the guys to get the carry-ons out of the hold, they will hand it back to you directly of place it on the tarmac.

I find Insel to be a nice airline. Yes, they are frequently delayed (at one time 6 hours for a 20 minute flight!) but I got my bags every single time, so for me they are ok. The others here are not much better. DAE is about the same, Divi Divi is the best but their planes are so small that bringing dive gear is not an option.

Thank you! That helps a lot!

Cheers!
Heather W

Hello Angie, I searched scubaboard looking for clarification of insel air's baggage policy and ran across this thread:

We're considering booking insel air rt from Miami to Bonaire and will have the same problems (but I hope without the overnight in Curacao) but in the opposite direction. You said that you were going to pack the best you could and see what happened.

Can you please tell me what happened?

honestly this was a good trip charlotte to hato. luggage is not nazi as with AA or other. we were over and i just said scuba and voila no problem. also lots of refreshments on the plane. actually enjoyed the flight. i woudl reccomend them to anyone.

We're trying Insel's new flight from Charlotte on Saturday. We have done the Miami flight in the past. Will see how this one goes. Never had a problem with baggage from Miami.

I had a flight booked for 8/31-9/3/2011 which was cancelled due to Irene. I have been emailing Customer Service and calling them since and have not gotten either a voucher for future travel or a refund yet. They emailed me about 2 months ago saying my claim was in progress. If you call them you stay on hold for 30 minutes min, then you get the run around. Screw those Dutch bastards I will never book with them again.

I got my Wed flight cancelled from Charlotte to Bonaire and rescheduled to next Sat Decided to return the following sat instead of losing half my vac staying in some Charlotte motel. I was able to reschedule my hotel but had to buy new ticket from Charlotte back to NY. Insel won't reimburse me for my ticket (it has been escalated to management). They will normally reimburse $5.95 per meal but they said they were generous and gave us $10/meal. We were afraid they might not reimburse us, so we went with the cheapest option (shift from wed-wed to sat-sat). We saw others buy next morning flight to Miami at some crazy price and didn't think we should gamble on that.

The odd thing was that I won a Insel ticket on my way back for a RT from Charlotte to Bonaire. If I was to exercise this option, I would still have to pay the taxes, by my RT from NY and buy full ticket for my wife. Not sure if will be worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom