integrated weight system on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for an alternative view...

I have tried weight integrated bc's and I prefer a weight belt...

I find that I can get a better fit with the belt. In my experience, when I used a weight integrated bc, and was inverted underwater, the weight often caused the bc to slide up (down?) around my ears...

The belt allows me to put the weight where I want it, and cinch it up tight, keeping it there. (I do also, depending on the dive, sometiems use ankle weights, or place a small extra wieght in a bc pocket.)

Just another preference.

Ladycute - I use a weight belt for half my weight, with the other half in the weight pockets of my Transpac II. I have also had a problem with the BC riding up around my ears, and I solved it with a crotch strap for the BC. Oh sure - the strap gets a little 'friendly' sometimes - but it's better than having my shoulder straps around my earlobes!

Ladychute1
........."and was inverted underwater"

I hear a lot of divers on this board talk often about being inverted or upside down under water. I have to admit it's a cool feeling but I don't spend that much time in this position to seriously consider it a factor in my equipment purchase or equipment setup. It's more of a novelty to me.

I have to ask "What are you doing that you are in this postiton so much" "Do you want to be in this position that much-or is it by accident"??

I like to be parallel with the bottom of the lake or ocean-Am I unique in this desire??

Buff - I also prefer to be horizonatl/parallel with the bottom, but I tend to get 'inverted' when I am swimming around looking at stuff and something interesting catches my eye at a greater depth. I would think this would happen all the time with wreck divers - although I have yet to dive a wreck - plan to take the course over the summer. It's these quick changes in direction from horizontal to inverted-vertical that got my BC sliding up before I got the crotch strap.

For instance - I was swimming nice and horizontally along the top of a submerged schoolbus at a local quarry - and wanted to check out the large catfish I saw duck around the rear tire - so I kicked my fins up, put my head down and kicked toward the tire (hence putting my budy in an inverted position). Once I got to the tire - I got horizintal again (with a minimum of sculling - I'm still trying to perfect this.) [As a side note - I also have the bad habit of putting one hand out in front of me as I am gliding through the water (think Superman position from the first movie). I know it's a No-No as I should have my hands at my side or clasped in front of me - but it's just so cool 'flying' through the water like that]

I also know several people who descend head first in good vis situations...I haven't done that yet - still trying to do things by the book - but I know it happens.

Crotch straps will solve the problem, but with a weight belt there is no problem and crotch straps are never comfortable.

while touring the reef horizontal is preferred, but I often (usually?) descend head first and often peak under ledges in that position. If you are neutrally buoyant you are as close to weightless as you'll get except in space or very brief moments in flight. I try to take total advantage of it.

DSSW,

WWW™

..somehow, I thought I might start something.....

OK.. in response to 'What the hell are ya doin' upside down?'

First, it's always deliberate on my part. .... well, maybe once or twice when trying to releive a cramp..... ok, it's ALMOST always deliberate on my part.

1) I like the sensation...so, why not once in awhile...

2) sometimes I'm looking at very little things on the bottom... and I don't want to stir up sand... once was watching some itsy bitsy plankton / nudibranchs (?we were never totally sure) -- we were using a magnifying glass --- these things were only the size of maybe 50 grains of sand...

3) sometimes it's the best way to see into a small crevice without touching the reef....

4) sometimes it's the best way to light a spot for a buddy to see (especialy at night)

and.. also... when I refered to the integrated bc slipping... it didn't happen ONLY when I was absolutely vertical, but also when rolling from side to side... in general, I didn't experience good control of the weight --- so MY preference is for a weight belt... No thank you, I don't want a crotch strap. You get right ahead and enjoy your nice, spiffy integrated bc.... I'll keep my old system which works just great for me. :jester:

..somehow, I thought I might start something.....

OK.. in response to 'What the hell are ya doin' upside down?'

First, it's always deliberate on my part. .... well, maybe once or twice when trying to releive a cramp..... ok, it's ALMOST always deliberate on my part.

1) I like the sensation...so, why not once in awhile...

2) sometimes I'm looking at very little things on the bottom... and I don't want to stir up sand... once was watching some itsy bitsy plankton / nudibranchs (?we were never totally sure) -- we were using a magnifying glass --- these things were only the size of maybe 50 grains of sand...

3) sometimes it's the best way to see into a small crevice without touching the reef....

4) sometimes it's the best way to light a spot for a buddy to see (especialy at night)

and.. also... when I refered to the integrated bc slipping... it didn't happen ONLY when I was absolutely vertical, but also when rolling from side to side... in general, I didn't experience good control of the weight --- so MY preference is for a weight belt... No thank you, I don't want a crotch strap. You get right ahead and enjoy your nice, spiffy integrated bc.... I'll keep my old system which works just great for me.
:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom