integrated weight system on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something you crotch strap afficianado's may want to try - I haven't tried this, but I saw a diver a couple of months ago who had afixed a pad to his crotch strap (like one of those pads on the shoulder straps on luggage) it made the strap wider and more cushioned at the 'contact point' with the body - less possibility of being 'sawed' in half this way....looked like a good solution - and he said it felt great,

Oh joy!....a padded crotch strap... oh... boy! what fun... just what I always wanted.. to scuba dive with the yellow pages between my legs!

(gentlemen, ask a woman friend to what I am referring)

Alright, Alright - maybe it's not for everyone - and maybe it would too closely resemble a different, yet similar, item with pads & belts - it was just a thought! <S>

And BTW - I am one of those guys who most willing goes to the store and makes that purchase for my wife on a monthly basis - I/we prefer the thin overnights with wings - I am amazed by the variety....my guess is if this were a 'guy' issue as oposed to a 'gal' issue - there would be one size, style and color - probably black...<S> [Maybe this post should be moved to the Women's section...]

Like many things it does not matter so much what, but how...

Integrated weights can be made very well, or awful. As far as hurting the BC, it depends on how well the bc is made to begin with, after all, we generally only have a 2" piece of webbing to hold many lbs. around the waist.

But do not ever think that just because someone makes it, that it is a good idea...

I think if it is a poor design that they could come out just as easily as a weight belt put on wrong or with cheap parts.

Tommy

Stone,

As for the weight distro and placment with the face down syndrone it's very simple. Put counter weights on the tank. I put #4 of weights on the tank and have no problem with the 'face down syndrone'. Most weight integrated bc's have some distributed system around the waist.

Ed

I dive a Zeagle Ranger and I have no problems at all with being face down. I am considering putting some of my weight in back though on the tank straps because I dive a 7mil two piece suit and I need so much weight that my weight pockets are stuffed full. I hate weight belts. They give me a sore back, they turn around while underwater so all the weight ends up in front with the buckle in the back.

Hello,

Interesting. I dive with a 6.5mm jump suit and I use 14# in freshwater.

Ed

I prefer a weight integrated BC. I do not store the weights in the BC and I prefer to place them in the BC after I have donned it and tend to take the weight pockets out when I doff it. I do not have a head down orientation with the BC, however, my feet seem to sink whether I use the weight integrated BC or a weight belt. Don't understand why as I don't where ankle weights. I usually get a good chuckle out of people as the pockets are labeled "left" and "right". I prefer to get the weight off my lower back (ie weight belt) and onto my shoulders.

When will they make an anatomically correct crotch strap?? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom