Intro to Tech Class review/reflections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$250 is great for a two-day program, it certainly doesn't break the bank (especially when you consider how much you typically spend on gear).

After having taken several similar classes focusing on basic skills and technique, I'm of the opinion that $$ for good training pays dividends many times over in diving enjoyment.

As I have progressed down the tech/continuous learning route, I find talking to the instructor is so important. You can can get a feel for their personally and style and see if seems to fit with your objectives.

$250 is alot more doable than $500 ... , I was ballpark guessin' really based on what my LDS wants for thier "Xtreme" Tech XR Intro class...

What is the class format? class & dives? just dives? how many dives?

I'm Dan, the other person that took the class along with Peter. I thought the class was clearly the best I've taken to date. Duane is a great instructor, and as also amazing at how fast he can edit the video footage to include flaws in ones diving. The video gives an unbiased approach to showing just how much more there is to learn and perfect. I thought I had an effective back kick and couldn't perform under pressure. After reviewing the video with Duane and talking about how to improve I was able to visualize better how to modify the back kick before continuing to practice it wrong. By the end of the next day I felt like a stud again.

Tech aside, I would recommend his class long before recommending an AOW class. This class can actually teach you something that could make all your future dives more enjoyable vs. an additional 5 fun dives following an ego heavy instructor who has a poor set of skills to begin with. Just learning how to perform the back kick more effectively was worth the $250.00 let alone the other skills left to hone.

Duane as an instructor has a great teaching method and doesn't teach with the attitude that most dive instructors/ gods convey. He's easy going and has fun but will be serious and emphasize how mastery of skills can save your own life or one of your buddies.

Peter, just let me know when your headed back to the quarry, I'll add about an hour to your estimated time and meet you there if you want to practice some skills.

Take care,
Dan

$250 is alot more doable than $500 ... , I was ballpark guessin' really based on what my LDS wants for thier "Xtreme" Tech XR Intro class...

Email Duane Johnson. You can find his email on his website. He'll each gladly go into all of the details with you.

PvtStash, like I said I was supposed to be in that class, I'll be making it up with Duane sometime in August/September. If you're serious you might want to look him up and see if he already has anyone else lined up or if you could jump in on it.

$250 is a small price to pay for the honest review you'll get of your diving.

Definitely. Also, you really get the chance to discuss equipment, so you could end up saving the $250 by making better choices the first time around.

Before the class, Duane posted reading material and worksheets on his websites. The mornings were a couple of hours of class, followed by dives. We did five dives, during which we were videoed (is that a word? I can't really write "video taped" in the 21st century :wink: ). The last part of each day was a video critique. There was some "homework" in being able to calculate gas usage.

Dan--
You should have seen it, I was at Haigh at 7:15 yesterday. :wink:

I talked to Duane and he has a couple of spots open for his next Intro to Tech class on Aug 1st and 2nd. I would highly recommend the class to anyone, I'm thinking of going as an observer even after taking the class just to hone some of the skills that were covered. If anyone is interested he's PPo2_diver here on SB.

Back
Top Bottom