Introducing our new Cruise Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did Roatan through Anthony's Key. We had 28 people on the boat + 3 dive masters. Talk about being crowded underwater.

I've heard some people say the dives booked through the ship in Belize and Roatan weren't crowded and others say they were really crowded. I wondering if it had anything to do with the time of year. I did book privately and expect small crowds, but I keep second guessing my Belize Seasports booking because of the hassel of tendering/walking to the dive shop. After walking alot on Tulum tour before the Belize tour, I should probably avoid unnecessary walking carrying heavy gear. At least we do get dropped back off at the ship. Oh well, I'm booked and they have a pretty restrictive refund policy unlike the ship, which is pretty reasonable.

We were on the Legend last week, and stopped at the same ports. I would recommend diving in Belize and Roatan. Actually I would dive in all four ports but that isn't practical when you are cruising with none diving family members.

Why isn't it practical??
I did it on at least 4 or 5 cruises.
Actually last cruise was the only one my wife and daughter saw me on land. We stopped at Colon, Panama - (no diving) and Costa Rica (again no diving), Costa Maya I did get in a dive excursion which was probably the only dive excursion I arranged prior to the cruise on my own. (when we did that cruise, Carnival had not set up anything in that port yet when we did that cruise)

I've heard some people say the dives booked through the ship in Belize and Roatan weren't crowded and others say they were really crowded. I wondering if it had anything to do with the time of year. I did book privately and expect small crowds, but I keep second guessing my Belize Seasports booking because of the hassel of tendering/walking to the dive shop. After walking alot on Tulum tour before the Belize tour, I should probably avoid unnecessary walking carrying heavy gear. At least we do get dropped back off at the ship. Oh well, I'm booked and they have a pretty restrictive refund policy unlike the ship, which is pretty reasonable.

I think it is just the luck of the draw. I been on cruises where there were maybe 3 o4 divers on the excursion and once where I was the lone diver, and other times where it was catttle boat.

Just remember the old expression: "if you get lemons, make lemonade "
so whether crowded or not, make the best of YOUR dive

BI Diver, I gave in to the "lets take a cruise pressure" and we are booked for next December in Roatan for a day. I need a good (not too crowded) place to snorkel for myself and my daughter who is too young to dive but is dolphin-crazy. suggestions? Maybe a dive for me combined with Snuba for her? Dolphins are a must see, I made the promise.

I used to work for a cruise line and we would do guided snorkeling tours at Tabyana Beach. This is a private beach but there is one right next door to it called West Bay Beach. The reef there is gorgeous and I've seen Snuba tours dive there. Check out the attached picture.

Attachments

• tabyana beach.JPG
    tabyana beach.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 154
BI Diver, I gave in to the "lets take a cruise pressure" and we are booked for next December in Roatan for a day. I need a good (not too crowded) place to snorkel for myself and my daughter who is too young to dive but is dolphin-crazy. suggestions? Maybe a dive for me combined with Snuba for her? Dolphins are a must see, I made the promise.

If Dolphins are really what you promised..you need to check into Anthony's Key. You can buy it from the ship to be sure you get to do it, and get back in time. Check out the shore excursions on your ships' web site.
Have fun. I've been to Roatan twice from a ship. It was a great time.

AKR has an entire dolphin program where you can snorkel with some captive dolphins and actually dive with non-captive, but cooperative dolphins in the open ocean. My wife and I did the dolphin dive with AKR during a port stop on the WindSurf. Though one of the dolphins decided he didn't want to participate, (an option they have as free-living creatures) the dive with the remaining animal was magnificent. I plan to go back to AKR in the future just to repeat the adventure. We didn't participate in the snorkel portion but having done the dive, I can't imagine that the snorkeling would be anything but fantastic.

I'm booked on the Carnival Ledgend out of Tampa on April 27. Wife is not in the best of health so I'll only dive 2 sites this trip. Diving in Hondouras and Grand Caymen. Dove in Belize and Cozumel twice already. Anyone else booked on this cruise. I would love to meet other SB members. I will hopefully be spending about a week in Cozumel later this summer.

Back
Top Bottom