Is 3 hours crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's 3 hours from New Orleans to Pensacola, which is the closest good diving (except for LA rig dives which take almost as long to get to and aren't that regularly scheduled).

Go to bed early, get up at 2:30, on the road by 3am, breakfast in P'Cola by 6:15, at dive shop to rent tanks by 7, at boat before 7:30, 2 nice dives, then drive back, getting there about 4:30.

When you do one drive at night, the other by day, it doesn't seem quite so tedious.

This isn't a regular routine, but when I need to get wet, it's the closest decent place.

Day trip....5.5 hours one way.

I drive 4 hours to Lake Rawlings and 3 Hours to Bainbridge. When Im in Florida on vacation 3 or 4 hours depending on where I am going. If Im in South Florida and the dives are washed out due to weather I will try to go North to the Springs.

2 hrs is fairly average travelling from north NJ down the shore for a charter dive. It's getting up at 4am that kills me, not to mention having to behave myself the night before.

Ya'll are lucky. I'm only three hours from the coast, but because of the altitude where I live I do not make one day trips anymore.

I'm only at 5000 feet, and I thought that it wasn't high enough to make a difference. I was wrong. First couple times I did it I did NOT feel so hot once I got home.

I had to repeat the trip before I realized why...Doh.

I do 2hr drives to Monterey, CA regularly. I have friends who come from sacramento and the davis area that do 3hr one day trips regularly as well.

I routinely drove 3-4 hours each way on the same day to ski, and I did the same for diving. But that was when I was younger and poorer.

Wow, I am spoilt. Closet dive site is about 20 minutes drive, the farthest mainland site is about 40 and a whole bunch of sites in between, like about 9 different dive sites.

If we hop over to some of the islands in my area then it is a ferry ride so the travel time will vary as there is different place we can go.

4 1/2 hour drive from Las Vegas to Long Beach then a 1 hr ferry ride to Catalina.

Rinse and repeat.

If I get up at 5 am, I can be up in Tobermory for the 9 am boat out to the wrecks....so 3 hrs isn't too far! Then a shore dive or two after lunch, and be back at home by 7-8 pm. Works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom