Is a Nitrox test at the dive site necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not absolutely necessary to so at the site. if you know your tank. that is one thing. If you go in a group and there are many tanks it is a good idea to check as you harness it to your bcd or BP. I don't have problems on my tanks I am usually the only one with lp95's. if I dove al80's then you bet I would check them again in case I got someone elses tank.

Last edited:
Good point it is always best to have the tank tested with different meters. If there is a difference then get a 3rd meter if the dive you are making is one using best mix for the gas blended in your tank.

I still test mine on the boat, even though I test them at the dive shop. It's a good habit and it doesn't hurt. The shops O2 analyzer could be giving off a bad reading, or maybe I forgot to label my tanks, or something could happen. People make bigger mistakes. I usually set up my gear as soon as I get on the boat, so I have a ton of time to kill before reaching the dive site anyway.

I carry my own tanks and I've never seen anyone else with gray HP117's so I could assume I'm safe to not test them on site.

I want to restate one of the reasons I test on-site... And this really was driven home in the discussions regarding Carlos (The fellow who was CERTAIN his tank was air, when in fact it was O2). I think it was Steve Lewis (Doppler on SB, and a friend for 30 years or so...) that first put this practice into words... and that is that YOUR gas could become your buddy's gas in an emergency.

Isn't therefore necessary that your buddy really should know what's in his backup tank? Testing on site gives him/her that confidence that his redundant gas is suitable.

Doc, following Carlos' accident, there were a couple of interesting things that happened in our local dive community. (Love him or otherwise, Carlos was a force to be reckoned with...). One was that I started to holler about making the purchase of an analyzer a requirement if taking a course. That really didn't get traction for all sorts of reasons.

The other thing that DID happen is that two shops that I am aware of had a special deal on Analox O2 analyzers... Pre-order, pre-pay, and get one at dealer cost. I know of several people who bought them.

I do it when picking up the Tanks from the fill station and before diving (they are usually not on the same day) since with the wide range of temperature change the % may change. I also use different brand analyzers just to make sure. I also test for CO.

What happens when you test at the shop and at the dive site where the temp is 80+ and then you jump into the cold Atlantic where the temp is 50 degrees?

What kind of dives do you do? Every dive OP I've used has had an O2 analyzer on site that they let you use. Things may just be different down here though.

Almost all my dives are shore dives. I also dive with friends, rarely do I dive with an organized shop dive outing.

So I would need to have my own analyzer if I'm to test the cylinder at the dive site.

What happens when you test at the shop and at the dive site where the temp is 80+ and then you jump into the cold Atlantic where the temp is 50 degrees?
The volume of gas will decrease in accordance to Charles' Law. The content of the gas will remain the same.

Thank you all for your detailed and varied responses. I'll dish out $400.00 and buy a nitrox analyzer.

This one shows up a lot, is it a good one?

Analox O2EII Nitrox Analyzer

http://www.analoxsensortechnology.com/scuba-diving-c17/nitrox-c29/o2eii-scuba-diving-p49
That is the one we have and that I most often see used. But like kairoos we rarely need it since the dive shops and boats always have one available. But it is nice to have on thoses rare occassions we need it. If you get one make sure you learn to use it correctly. Fortunately we have not had it happen but I have been told it is possible to blow the sensor and that is an expensive repair.

Back
Top Bottom