Is diving safe during tsunami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P1011084a.jpg

"Wreck of the Memphis" by Edward Beach Sr. is an interesting book about a Tsunami in the Dominican Republic that sank a US Navy Cruiser. Made me decide I didn't want to get involved with any Tsunami in any way shape or form.

Bob
The guy in the picture, especially if he dosent run fast enough
--------------------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

Some instructor/divemaster who was in Thailand during the 2004 tsunami is bound to comment any time now. I remember asking one instructor on Ko Phi Phi what it was like, he said vis went bad really quickly and sudenly there was a lot of current. They surfaced (pretty far away from the boat) and went back to shore and then started to understand what happened.

I wonder if the divers who were out there during the tsunami experienced much of a depth change? My fear would be the current either picking me up or dropping me down a few hundred feet.

We were on a boat in Burmese waters when the tsunami hit. On a boat, in deeper water, away from shore, that's the place to be. We were worried about a "Poseidon Adventure" sort of wave, but didn't even notice a ripple.

Ummmm surfboard - now that would be a ride !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom