Is it common for the wing fabric to split along the zipper on my Ranger LTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbcb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Ranger LTD, with over 100 dives on it. It's the older model, circa 2008, with just one top dump and without the articulated shoulder harnesses.

Anyways, I took the BDC in to my LDS for a checkup in January and they took care of the leaking inflator, finding nothing else amiss.

Fast forward to April and during the lake portion of our Rescue Diver certification, I starting hearing air bleed out behind me - turns out the inner bladder "cracked" where the threads met the flange. So I had to use a shop BC to complete the 2nd day of classes and ordered a new bladder from my LDS.

All is well for the May overnight campout/shakedown for our scout trip to the Florida Sea Base.

Dive three in Florida, as I reenter the boat, the 1st mate suggests that I look at my BC, as something is wrong. Sure enough, the fabric has split along the stop seam for about 5" allowing the bladder to protrude. Looking at it closer after we made it back to base, there is little to no seam allowance below the zipper - just a bunch of frayed fabric.

I don't want a full replacement wing, as I already have a bladder with only 8 dives on it.

Ideas/suggestions?

Hi,I just had the same problem, sending an email to Huish for service. My BC is less than 4 years old.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 08:10 PM ----------

For some reason cannot edit the above post, wanted to clarify, I have the issue where the fabric split along the seam at the top of the bladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom