Is It Possible to Dive Grand Cayman on a Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That also reminds me of the specials at Guy Harveys. They have a dinner special each night where there is a particular entrée for $9.99 CI and Sat and Sun Buy one entrée at reg price get another for a $1 CI.

I just looked up Guy Harvey's and we will have to check it out! Not only do they have the $9.99 and $1 specials but they offer a half-price Happy Hour and a $30 CI 4 course tasting dinner!

But considering the location on the harbor, we will definitely plan to visit after the cruise visitors leave for the day and/or on low cruise ship days, thanks!

I don't go near GT when a cruise ship is in. The patio/deck at GH on a Sat or Sun with no cruise ships is very nice. We have done it on our last day, hitting it for lunch before our flight or after an AM dive at Eden Rock which is within walking distance.

My thoughts on diving GC on a budget...
  • Go with a condo. Share with other divers to reduce the cost.
  • Go in the low season - summer or late summer. Condos will offer deals and dive boats will have availability.
  • Buy breakfasts and most lunches at the supermarket. Be aware that the difference between things is different from home. Go to the farmer's market at the cricket grounds to get good, locally-grown produce. Cook some easy dinners on the grill on the condo patio (fresh fish from the George Town fish market, for example, etc.)
  • Go to the liquor store and buy your beer, wine, rum, vodka or whatever you need, rather than paying expensive bar prices for it.
  • Find a condo that is away from Seven Mile Beach. You pay a premium for that location and, since your priority is spending time out on the water, you don't need to be right by the beach.
  • Shore dive, shore dive, shore dive. You have lots of options - Lighthouse Point, Turtle Reef, Cobalt Coast, Sunset House, Eden Rock, and quite a few others. Tanks are $12 US so you can do 4 dives a day for $96 a day - less than a 2-tank boat dive. Do each site repeatedly - most of the sites on the mini wall offer at least two good dives (go left and go right when you get to the wall).
  • Supplement your shore dives with boat diving on days that look like they will be good, or where the shore diving isn't possible due to currents. Because you are there in the off season, there will be ops with seats available.
  • Rent a small car - car rentals are ridiculously cheap on the island of late and even though the fuel is really expensive, it's a lot cheaper than taxis and can get you where you need to be at the right time (with your dive gear).
There may be other suggestions, but that's what comes to mind immediately.

...There may be other suggestions, but that's what comes to mind immediately.

@Alucard , I absolutely agree with everything you have written. Like Kathy, we frequently stay at Turtle Nest. We buy most our food from Hurley's or Fosters, our beer and booze from BlackBeard's. We hit the farmer's markets, as well, too include roadside stands.

I will add that we supplement home cooked meals by stopping at places locals go. Stopping by Rankine's (or any of the several other jerk places) on the way back from West End shore dives for a box of jerked pork/chicken, rice & beans and festival. Kathy hasn't mentioned the Grape Tree Cafe in Boddentown... cheap and delicious. Get in line with the locals and enjoy... open only Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

My thoughts....budget $1000 day for two and be happy!

We stopped along side the road for some chicke a lady was cooking on a grill...for the three of use, it came to $60,00 bucks!

Sure was good though:wink:

Here is just one rate package for Turtle Nest Condos ( 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath full kitchen etc.) this is for the condo NOT per person and includes a car.

Late Summer/Fall Rates
August 16 to October 31
US$169/night: US$1099/week
Rental car included throughout

Here is the website if you want to see more or you can ask me.

Grand Cayman Condos & Villas -- Island Vacation Rentals (Ocean View Condos)

Stay Dive and Drive Package

Dive Packages :: Turtle Nest Inn

EastEndDiver:

Even better, that deal you linked to includes this bit:

"Each has a full kitchen and can very comfortably accommodate parties of one to six guests. Base rates (below) are for up to four guests. Additional guests (over twelve years old) are at an extra cost of US$20, per night, and, an upgrade from the compact car is recommended for four guests or more."

If I understand correctly, that doesn't include the cost of diving. But since a lot of people travel as a couple, or a couple with 1 or 2 more (e.g.: kid, mother-in-law), that's a good way to get the average per person cost down. If airfare to Grand Cayman is pretty cheap from one's point-of-origin, so much the better. With onsite sandy beach, you've got one of the main things many non-divers are after.

Richard.

• Go with a condo. Share with other divers to reduce the cost.
  • Go in the low season - summer or late summer. Condos will offer deals and dive boats will have availability.
  • Buy breakfasts and most lunches at the supermarket. Be aware that the difference between things is different from home. Go to the farmer's market at the cricket grounds to get good, locally-grown produce. Cook some easy dinners on the grill on the condo patio (fresh fish from the George Town fish market, for example, etc.)
  • Go to the liquor store and buy your beer, wine, rum, vodka or whatever you need, rather than paying expensive bar prices for it.
  • Find a condo that is away from Seven Mile Beach. You pay a premium for that location and, since your priority is spending time out on the water, you don't need to be right by the beach.
  • Shore dive, shore dive, shore dive. You have lots of options - Lighthouse Point, Turtle Reef, Cobalt Coast, Sunset House, Eden Rock, and quite a few others. Tanks are $12 US so you can do 4 dives a day for $96 a day - less than a 2-tank boat dive. Do each site repeatedly - most of the sites on the mini wall offer at least two good dives (go left and go right when you get to the wall).
  • Supplement your shore dives with boat diving on days that look like they will be good, or where the shore diving isn't possible due to currents. Because you are there in the off season, there will be ops with seats available.
  • Rent a small car - car rentals are ridiculously cheap on the island of late and even though the fuel is really expensive, it's a lot cheaper than taxis and can get you where you need to be at the right time (with your dive gear).
There may be other suggestions, but that's what comes to mind immediately.
We did exactly that back when we were still diving together with our boys, so we had to be on a tight budget. I'd also add, when boat diving, try different island locations.

Richard thanks for the response as you can see it can be somewhat inexpensive as opposed to other options on Cayman and these condos are kept in excellent condition both inside and out with meticulous housekeeping and grounds maintenance.

All units have 100 + TV channels plus free Wi-Fi and phone service (some costs).all have full size washer and dryers so you can pack light .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom