Is mixing different brands okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doby. What if you are in the southern hemisphere? I am all confused.

Bolderjohn. Seems the other way around when it comes to judging other divers. I am very safety minded, respect the under water environment and other divers and am having a ton of fun but to some folks I am not "doing it right" based on the gear I use. Just seems that way to me.

Bolderjohn. Seems the other way around when it comes to judging other divers. I am very safety minded, respect the under water environment and other divers and am having a ton of fun but to some folks I am not "doing it right" based on the gear I use. Just seems that way to me.
Fortunately for GUE, that's mostly an internet thing. On scubaboard, and even on the official GUE site those guys come across...poorly. However, I met some GUE divers at a scubaboard megadive event and discussed gue/dir with them at length. They were quite pleasant. They were willing to tell me about their style of diving and why they liked it without being negative about others who do it differently. I was impressed. Not enough to go drop coin on a fundies class, but they definitely increased my opinion of GUE divers immeasurably.

kelemvor. I know sometimes on message boards people come across different than they intend.
I do pay attention to what that group is saying and use even if I am not going to follow it respect the attitude.

Bolderjohn. Seems the other way around when it comes to judging other divers.
I am not sure what you mean by "the other way around." I tried to write my description as middle of the road as possible. I must not have done a good job.

Last edited:
And as if "DIR" isn't bad enough, who chose the word "Practitioner"? Sounds so clinical.

I have half a mind to become a SB Supporter so I can give myself a better "title."

Sorry. It just seems that the dir group is more judgemental. I don't take any of this stuff too seriously.

So, in the end, is it DIR to mix mk25 first stage with air-integrated Uwatec DC and Halcyon second stage ?
Is it both DIR and uncool, even if you manage to get matching colors (dark pink SS carabiners are real tough to get) ? Will it make your golden platinum reseller drop his buttler disguise, turn into a belzebuth, screw up your gear come service time, tell your insurance and widow that you had it coming ?

In the current version of ScubaBoard, if you join a forum that requires permissions, including the "DIR Practitioner" forum, that forum gets listed under your name. There is a somewhat arbitrary hierarchy to those forum names. A number of people who have joined the DIR Practitioner forum have expressed concern about the fact that the label appears under their names. That goes back to the history of the situation, when there was a serious gulf between the DIR divers and the non-DIR divers. (You can get a hint of it by seeing the comments above.) Because of the gulf, a separate forum (actually two) was set up so that DIR divers could have a chance to talk about DIR principles without being harassed by those who opposed them. You have to join them, and when you do, you get the label automatically. One of the common criticisms of DIR divers was their alleged tendency to shove their methodology into the faces of others. Thus, the fact that the term "DIR Practitioner" appears below a name implies that they are of this "shove it into your face" mentality, when that could in fact be far from the truth.
They started it.
Kind of funny how they cast the first stone and now have to barricade themselves behind their own forum as not to be "harrassed".
Poor DIR.

They started it.
Kind of funny how they cast the first stone and now have to barricade themselves behind their own forum as not to be "harrassed".
Poor DIR.

Who is "they"? Some of us came onto the scene after whatever the kerfuffle was about and have no memory of it, took a GUE class in which the term "DIR" was never mentioned, have not come across any GUE divers with an attitude of superiority, and we don't want to be labeled with something that has negative connotations to some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom