Is old air safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Milkman670

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a second hand Luxfer alum 80cf cylinder that had Hyro, visual inspections and fill 07/2014. 2800 psi in it.
Any concerns with using it up for pool practice?
$_27-1.JPG
IMG_0699.jpg

No - unless you were the one that filled it back then - I would run it in to get it tested - CO and O2 percentage.
There are several documented cases of divers diving unknown gas... Don't be a statistic - test it first. :)

I don't know if aluminum has the same concern, but there is a story in Diver Down about a guy who used a steel tank that had been filled and then sat for a while. He died. The air in the tank had a bit of moisture in it. Over time, that allowed the inside of the tank to oxidize (i.e. rust), which uses the oxygen in the air. He was only doing a very shallow lake dive. When they analyzed his tank afterwards, I think the book said they found it to only have something like 5% oxygen.

I don't think aluminum oxidizes the same way steel does, so it's probably not nearly such a concern as if it was a steel tank. But, I would still at least use a regular O2 analyzer on it, to make sure it's breathable.

Last edited:
Personally, unless I know the source and trust it, I would drain it and refill it as even with an O2 and CO2 analyser you have no idea whether it was filled from a reputable source or whether it may be contaminated.

I know from the person I bought it from that it was filled at the time of the inspections and then never used. I'm sure I can get it tested at a oilfield safety place were I has another tank filled at the cost of $42.....our closest dive shop for $7.50 fills is 2 hrs away. I'll let you know the test fee.

The more important question I'd be asking is Is your life worth the $15-$20 it would take to make it right? If it were me it would be getting drained cleaned and VIPd before I used it. Just my $0.02.

The age of the fill is not an issue. I do not understand why some would question the air quality from Aqua Sport Scuba but accept the air quality from some other shop. I would dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom