• YES, regardless of your training level anything can happen down there

Votes: 117 50.6%
  • NO, if you & your buddy are at least PADI Rescue Diver certified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES, unless you buy a PONY BOTTLE or SPARE AIR

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • NO, if you know your limit and respect it. you can even dive alone

Votes: 54 23.4%
  • YES, Pro divers with many years of experience still die due to unforseen circumstances

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • NO, if dont go into Technical Diving or overhead envirnoment

• YES, if you depend too much on AI computer

• NO, if you just use the plastic table and a bottom timer

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...you're in an alien environment and yes, anything could happen. But I certainly agree that the more training and experience one has, the more one minimizes those risks.

If you haven't already, read Deep Descent and any other diving books you can find. Many tragic diving fatalities seem to be caused by unforseen difficulties, overestimating one's abilities, or the mistakes of others.

It's true though that you're in more danger driving! I've seen road rage, never diving rage...

BTW - I recently completed my PADI Rescue Diver course and I highly recommend it! It teaches you a whole different way of looking at yourself, others, and your environment. I feel more confident and in control, not to mention able to help others.

All education is good education. Keep learning, keep diving!

PS - Dxtreme! "what about that uncontrolled unattentive 300 lbs scuba diver that decent directly on top of you ??? "
That has actually happened to me. Yikes!
:eek:

In the rescue course they have some stats. The accident rate is about the same as bowling. I'd worry more about the drive to the site. Unless of course you're caving or deep and there I think that's part of the attraction

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I feel safer (more in control) underwater than I do on the highway in my car.

Defiently. I think I'm at my most coordinated state underwater.

SCUBA, just like anything else, has it's risks. It's the diver's job to do everything and anything in their power to minimize the risks. Few divers do all they should though.

I have been diving and teaching diving for a good number of years.

One quote comes to mind:

If you are going to be stupid you'd better be tough!

That about sums it up.

Most of the students I train now are young and bright and most are "water people" in the first place. They tend to catch on fast. The most important things I try to teach them are buoyancy and compass navigation.

Among the most important rules I teach are:

1. Don't dive 2 deep!
2. Don't stay 2 long!
3. Don't come up 2 fast!
4. If that little voice in the back of your head begins to talk to you, listen before it starts yelling!

In short, obey the basic rules, do not dive beyond your experience/training. Diving is only fun as long as it is safe, if you are not having fun you are not diving safe! Get proper training, maintain your gear, use the proper (redundant) gear for the dive, dive with properly trained partners.

As to training, I personally do not dive with anyone that is not Rescue trained. Rescue training teaches "self rescue" a more important aspect of the course in the prevention of accidents. It is a must for those that dive alone, dive deep or tend to take other risks...

Remember that a scuba certification is nothing more than a license to learn. Continue your education, continue to learn.

Scubatampa.com ~ Sunsation Dive Charters

Captain John L. Russell 3, Tampa, Florida
PADI MSDT 40957, MDEA MI 2098

Please visit our site at http://www.scubatampa.com

:D

It is if you don't know what you're doing!!
OR
If you act stupid and do stupid things during a dive!!:bonk: :bonk:

I don't really consider diving dangerous per se. Yes, it has its risks, but for me to consider it dangerous it has to really pose a threat to my life that is highly probable. I think through training and proper procedures, a majority of activities can be made safe in todays world.

Basically, if there is a method (such as training, equipment) which can reduce or limit injuries significantly, and any injuries fatalities are at a low level, then I consider it to be relatively safe.

I use the word relatively because there is inherent danger in living. There is a possibility that when you wake up you may roll over, bang your head on the corner of your desk (which is beside my bed...), and crack your head open, doesn't mean that your bedroom is dangerous... just means you're extremely unlucky.

(On a sidebar, the majority of diver major injuries/fatalities are due to diving outside recreational limits, or to improper dive planning and/or procedures).

I am supprised at the pole and how many think it is dangerous

it is not dangerous at all if you dive within your comfort zone, training, ability, and if you do not push the limits of known theories

i would like, to hear what people find dangerous about the diving they are doing...

i believe the diving i am doing is dangerous, i try to manage the things that make it dangerous, in order to reduce the danger.
my last dive was to 404 feet. the danger was very minimal.

AquaTec once bubbled...
my last dive was to 404 feet. the danger was very minimal.

That kind of gives me the willies. I guess it's your job and you're trained but it still sounds crazy. Does that kind of diving have any long term effects on your body?

Diving in itself is not dangerous. What makes it dangerous is the ignorance of little things that divers do all the time and get away with it, except that one time. Conducting dives within one's limitations is a big question. Most don't know their limitations until they are tested at that level. They either manage and at that time move on to another level, or things go wrong. Of course good training is a good place to start.
As just one example, for those that dive in areas where drysuits are used. Take a look at the drysuit infator. I bet you would notice that the majority of inflator hoses come from the right side. It even comes that way often from the manufacturer. Which means that in case of auto inflation, to disconnect it quickly the right hand must be used. However the dump valve on almost all drysuits is on the left arm.
What is the emergency procedure in case of auto drysuit inflation?
Disconnect an dump, all at the same time. In case of "blowout" inverted diver also must curl legs at the same time.
Well, if the right hand must be used to disconnect the inflator, a diver can't dump at the same time. Especially with think gloves it may take some divers several seconds to disconnect the inflator. It takes only seconds to rapidly ascent.
Is diving dangerous? NO! Lack of realistic and proper training, lack of equipment knowledge, and inablilty to manage when things go wrong is what increases the risks. Little things that go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom